The wise old owl..

I obviously can't go into the ins and outs however I had the most sincerest of pleasures of having a real gentleman in my truck the other day and i'm not sure if anyone is interested but never the less I will share it with you.

The gentleman in his 80's was a owl by heart however hadn't been to games for the best part of 20 years or more due to age and deteriorating health and the cold weather. This didn't mean that he had an hatred towards United... in fact it was quite the opposite as he "liked to see both teams do well".

Growing up, his dad was an Owl however his uncle was a Blade which had his benefits as his old man would take him to Hillsborough one week and his uncle would take him down The Lane the next (much to his fathers disgruntlement). This was quite the norm back then really and I know my own relatives did similar.

As the conversation went on he spoke of such greats as Jackie Sewell and Derek Dooley, who in his words were two of the finest players ever to put on a Wednesday shirt. He went on to explain how these two should have spearheaded the England team however didn't really get a sniff because northern players were often overlooked in those days in favour of players from the capital.

He remembered on particular goal that Jackie Sewell scored on the volley right in front of him as he was right behind the goal. He hit the ball with that much venom that he actually put a hole in the netting in the goal.

He also spoke of Ron Springett who in his words was "the finest keeper ever to play for wednesday". A player who played well for England but eventually got forced out by Gordon Banks. He went on to say "That said, Banks was a bloody good keeper and he played well when they won the cup".

He spoke of many a player from both sides of the fence fondly and painted clear pictures of memorable moments in games.

The conversation went on as he spoke of how football players were proper football players back in those days unlike today's pansies. Some players would walk miles to the ground before playing and then miles again afterwards to get back home or even get on the bus to the ground with the fans.

.....................................................................................................

Why am I telling you about this bloke? A bloke who sounds very similar to many other veteran, Sheffield football fan?...............

Because believe it or not he was a dementia sufferer!

Confusion was a regular thing and whilst he he might struggle to remember things from this morning....When he spoke about football, he could remember he all clear as day and you wouldn't know that he was a dementia sufferer in the slightest!

Needless to say, it was an absolute pleasure to have been of some assistance to this winderful gentleman.

Great post Greeny.

I'm surprised the Geezer didn't mention Jimmy Hagan.

My owd man bled blue and white, but in all my time, he said the best player who ever lived was the Blade Jimmy Hagan.

Some owd gits say it was Duncan Edwards. People of my age (an oldish git of 62) usually go for Pele or George Best (my particular favourite) or sadly, Maradonna.

I wunt p on Maradonna if 'e were on fire.

Football, when Hagan and the likes of Derek Dooley played, was frightening at times. Every game would be abandoned these days as there would only be 4 or 5 players left on the pitch the way tackles, elbows and heads used to fly in! :hihi:

Thanks for the post GM but that is the nature of dementia, it is short term memory that is the problem not long term. My father in law passed away due to dementia in 2008 and could remember stuff in great detail from 60years back, unfortunately he could not remember stuff from 2 minutes back.

Good post Green Man. Incidentally Hotmale1954 ( sounds pervy that :hihi:) you maynot like Maradona but he was a bloody good player, I realise you weren't saying otherwise.

Been some good players over the years, Zidane, Ronaldhino, Cruyf, Platini, Messi, Eusebio, Jay McEveley :D

Dementia is actually a terrible disease

Smashing post in these depressing times. Merry Christmas.

Great post Greeny.

My owd man bled blue and white, but in all my time, he said the best player who ever lived was the Blade Jimmy Hagan.

Some owd gits say it was Duncan Edwards. People of my age (an oldish git of 62) usually go for Pele or George Best (my particular favourite) or sadly, Maradonna.

Football, when Hagan and the likes of Derek Dooley played, was frightening at times. Every game would be abandoned these days as there would only be 4 or 5 players left on the pitch the way tackles, elbows and heads used to fly in! :hihi:

I agree and wonder why he didn't mention Albert Quixall. My father like myself, a devout 'Owl' used to say the same about Jimmy Hagan who my dad befriended in the late '50s. Imagine one day Jimmy and then fellow 'Blade' Alf Ringstead arrived at our house one day to take my parents to some function or other, non of my school pals believed me ! The plaudits have been around about Pele for years but he never proved himself by playing in the European leagues. I suppose he saved himself for World Cups! Duncan Edwards another of my dad's ( my dad was born in 1910) favourites, was the youngest player to represent England (and not for nothing) from the mid 1950's until Michael Owen turned up. My father's three favourite players however and he had been watching games at grounds since the late 1920's were Matt Busby !!! Then a player in the 1930's with Manchester City and Everton. Tommy Lawton, of whom he said was a 'very dangerous man with head and both feet' and George Best , he asked 'Is there 'owt' that kid can't do' ? From my father, that was some accolade ! Thank you green man for the post !

---------- Post added 17-12-2016 at 22:49 ----------

Great post Greeny.

Yes the 'Owls' had a few in the 1950's who-according to my dad- 'didn't mess abart' ! Derek Dooley would have had a yellow card in the first five minutes and from what he told me about the 'antics' of defenders Norman Curtis, Walter Bingley and bloke called 'Mother' Turton beggars belief ! and Don Revie's Leeds United had yet to come ! (Had to mention them.)

Edited by stpetre
add