Self employed - government grant.

My daughter says she has been accepted for receipt of a government grant so she can go fully self employed. She expects the money in 2-3 weeks. She then says she needs a mentor to get further help then asks me if I can lend her £450. Before I talk to her I would appreciate knowing if such a grant is available and what is a mentor? Any info please. On here or txt 07799726858 and I'll ring you back.

From experience through a family member.Normally she will be appointed a mentor - usually from an organisation by the DWP/Job centre.

She will need to provide a business plan,name and schedule to do stuff on the plan,

Website,flyers,proposals etc to her mentor.

She will normally need to visit a couple of times at least and convince the mentor of the plan and then attend subsequent follow ups to include proof of work done, customers etc etc.

Following her acceptance she should also receive a weekly payment that replaces job seekers,but decreases over a certain number of weeks.

I assume the grant/loan will be for the business and is repaid at low interest i think,nut i don't anyone who applied for the loan.

The government don't give grants for new businesses any more.

It must be a loan.

It sounds a bit off she is asking for money. Is the 'government agency' asking for money?

We got a grant for PR, sales and marketing but we had to pay the company we chose (from the government approved list) and got the money refunded, minus the VAT. We had to pay £2k of a £4K spend and the government scheme refunded £2k.

Grants are available Scutts. SMEs and micros can get up to £5K towards cyber security as just one example.

There are schemes out there but be careful she isn't getting conned. What is the name of the scheme?

https://www.gov.uk/start-up-loans

That was the scheme i had experience of, although never applied for the loan.

To be honest it was a way of receiving the equivalent of job seekers after the initial period ran out, to help them get started.

Sorry my mistake it was this one.

https://www.gov.uk/new-enterprise-allowance

My daughter says she has been accepted for receipt of a government grant so she can go fully self employed. She expects the money in 2-3 weeks. She then says she needs a mentor to get further help then asks me if I can lend her £450. Before I talk to her I would appreciate knowing if such a grant is available and what is a mentor? Any info please. On here or txt 07799726858 and I'll ring you back.

To answer your question. A mentor is someone who provides support to someone. A mentor's role is primarily to give guidance, support and to make sure the individual being mentored does what they say they will do i.e. to hold them to account (in a positive way :))

It is different to consultancy. Consultancy is where you pay someone for specific advice and expertise.

I do not know of any Government sponsored scheme where you have yo pay for a mentor as a condition of getting a grant. The mentor is normally provided as part of the grant.

Thanks for all the replies. All the info I need is there. Sorted.