Where to advertise your business?

In the past I have popped cards and posters into Vets groomers etc

I have also paid to advertise in a local mag and newspaper neither didn't really get any new customers

I have a great customer base ATM lots of regulars but as there animals pass away etc I find myself looking to find more customers

Can anyone offer any advise regarding advertising?

Well I'll start by saying that I have never needed a cat sitter but I'm assuming that if someone was going to look for a cat sitter then they might search for something like "cat sitter sheffield" or "cat sitting sheffield". When I searched for those terms in Google your website came second to bottom and bottom of page 2 for those terms. Many people don't get past the first page of search results when looking for something.

Have you tried sharing your Facebook page posts into local groups for buying and selling? It can work well and is free

Have you tried sharing your Facebook page posts into local groups for buying and selling? It can work well and is free

Yes I currently do that thanks

From my web design experience, your website will need to be optimised for the keyword "cat sitting Sheffield'. I've just been on your site, and there are a few areas you might improve immediately.

First of all, there is no H1 (Heading 1) tag or Title tag with the desired keyword.

Secondly, the page url for 'Cat Sitting' is currently set as "page4.htm", and it would be much SEO friendly to be 'cat-sitting.htm', to let Google and other search engines know that this page is about 'Cat Sitting'.

Noticed that you used 'MrSite' to create your web pages, and you might be able to find how to make these changes by referring to its user manual.

Unless you have moved away from Laughton Common, I think Sheffield is a bit misleading Sue. I actually live in Rotherham so would search Rotherham not Sheffield. I know the postal address is Sheffield but we are in Rotherham, pay rates to Rotherham, kids go to Rotherham Schools etc. You might be missing out on business in Dinnington, Laughton, Laughton Common, Thurcroft and Wickersley by not using Rotherham and Sheffield as the areas you cover.

Hi Cheryl yes we moved away from Laughton common a yr ago,Sheffield is easier for me to cover now sue x

Spoke to someone at Mr site (live chat) told me I need to buy a new website to optimise mine and pay them £199 or do it myself at a cost of £60+

Edited by suecatsitter
Added info

Ah, okay. I knew you were moving but didn't realise you had moved far.

I have noticed you don't have an address on your website, unless I have missed it. This can put people off. Its also a legal requirement for a business to have their address on letterheads, compliment slips, email, websites etc. I think its only business cards that don't need addresses on, everything else should show it.

Ok thanks i didn't know that My address isn't on the website

My address is on my booking forms and insurance crb etc

Edited by suecatsitter
Typo

I don't think it is legal requirement Chez2 unless it's an eCommerce website (selling online), then an address is required.

Not sure Mr Site is really the best value for money. I've heard with these sorts of sites you have to pay for every little extra. You might be better off in the long term getting a web developer to set up you a wordpress site, there would be an initial cost but you can amend the site yourself. Plus there are plenty of free add ons which you could install yourself once you become familiar with how wordpress works.

Hi Sue, don't pay Mr.Site to optmise your site. It might only take you a few days to learn how to do it yourself.

My address isn't on the website as I had people turn up at my house asking for information and booking forms

My address is on my booking forms and insurance crb etc

It is a legal requirement of all businesses I'm afraid. Why not have the insurance and a booking form on your website? That way people wouldn't need to call in for them. If you look at our waste management site you can see our insurance can be viewed and printed off. You could state that people must make appointments to meet you.

You don't have to let them in if anyone turns up at your home. Just give them a business card and tell them its all on the website. Ask they make an appointment and come back at that time. If they are genuine they won't mind. I wasn't going to mention it but you are asking about how to increase your customer base.

---------- Post added 21-03-2016 at 13:16 ----------

I don't think it is legal requirement Chez2 unless it's an eCommerce website (selling online), then an address is required.

Not sure Mr Site is really the best value for money. I've heard with these sorts of sites you have to pay for every little extra. You might be better off in the long term getting a web developer to set up you a wordpress site, there would be an initial cost but you can amend the site yourself. Plus there are plenty of free add ons which you could install yourself once you become familiar with how wordpress works.

It is a legal requirement Love2print. I have previously posted a link at least once on Sheff forum. I'm not going to search it out now. It was pointed out to us by a business adviser as a legal requirement when we first set up our business. We were given the link to prove it was true. I never believe anything unless I can see it from a reputable source.