Sheffield Wednesday proposed Don Valley move to Ukranian buyers?

Seems that Green Man can't win. He genuinely brings up a story which ought to be interesting to those of the Blue persuasion. It is part of the history of the Wednesday, albeit recent history.

It ought to raise concern to all football fans when you realise the apparent lack of understanding that some foreign owners have for our game. Examples are the Cardiff owner who made the team play in red because red is a lucky colour in Malaysia, and the Hull City owner who almost ruined the club and upset the fans by wanting to change the name to Hull Tigers.

Any thought of the Blades moving away from the current ground, apparently the oldest in League football would be an emotional wrench for the fans and I'm sure that applies to Wednesday fans about Hillsborough.

As regards the tragic events of 1989. I phoned Radio Sheffield several years ago in response to a debate about bringing back standing areas at football grounds, the studio guest was a member of the Football Supporters Association who was advocating this. I argued the case for re-introducing standing in certain areas, I always stand as do hundreds of others at the back of the Shoreham Street kop and would never selfishly block anyone's view by standing up.

We were opposed by a bereaved family member of a Liverpool supporter who stated that re-introducing standing would be an insult to the memory of those fans killed. I could appreciate her distress but banning standing as a consequence of one incident albeit very tragic did not seem reasonable

See post 11.....

Seems that Green Man can't win. He genuinely brings up a story which ought to be interesting to those of the Blue persuasion. It is part of the history of the Wednesday, albeit recent history.

It ought to raise concern to all football fans when you realise the apparent lack of understanding that some foreign owners have for our game. Examples are the Cardiff owner who made the team play in red because red is a lucky colour in Malaysia, and the Hull City owner who almost ruined the club and upset the fans by wanting to change the name to Hull Tigers.

Any thought of the Blades moving away from the current ground, apparently the oldest in League football would be an emotional wrench for the fans and I'm sure that applies to Wednesday fans about Hillsborough.

As regards the tragic events of 1989. I phoned Radio Sheffield several years ago in response to a debate about bringing back standing areas at football grounds, the studio guest was a member of the Football Supporters Association who was advocating this. I argued the case for re-introducing standing in certain areas, I always stand as do hundreds of others at the back of the Shoreham Street kop and would never selfishly block anyone's view by standing up.

We were opposed by a bereaved family member of a Liverpool supporter who stated that re-introducing standing would be an insult to the memory of those fans killed. I could appreciate her distress but banning standing as a consequence of one incident albeit very tragic did not seem reasonable

Wednesday left Bramall Lane many years ago ;)

well i found it interesting GM. i think i remember a move to don valley mentioned around that time, not something i'd of liked though. no doubt the west stand needs flattening but the world cup plans showed how good both hillsborough and bramall lane could look with the right upgrade. unfortuanetly with these foreign owners they don't always understand how the fans minds work, without good reason moving grounds would alienate alot of fans

---------- Post added 29-12-2016 at 09:11 ----------

tragic event but i don't think it effects anything to do with how the club is run now. i don't like it when the hillsborough tradgedy is brought into arguements about standing at football games. it wasn't the fact they were standing that got people killed, it was those awful perimeter fences, getting rid of those was the only good thing to come out of the disaster. i think our chairman has said he's looking into safe standing areas, i for one would welcome it

well i found it interesting GM. i think i remember a move to don valley mentioned around that time, not something i'd of liked though. no doubt the west stand needs flattening but the world cup plans showed how good both hillsborough and bramall lane could look with the right upgrade. unfortuanetly with these foreign owners they don't always understand how the fans minds work, without good reason moving grounds would alienate alot of fans

---------- Post added 29-12-2016 at 09:11 ----------

tragic event but i don't think it effects anything to do with how the club is run now. i don't like it when the hillsborough tradgedy is brought into arguements about standing at football games. it wasn't the fact they were standing that got people killed, it was those awful perimeter fences, getting rid of those was the only good thing to come out of the disaster. i think our chairman has said he's looking into safe standing areas, i for one would welcome it

No, don't think it was (But that is a debate that has been had a fair few times)

Don valley was a soulless place, as for the Owls moving, yes plenty of trains from BARNSLEY (SOUTH) , close to the motorway too,

But really how many football fans would want the move???, s6 has many faults and is very dated,yet again its the oversea investors that dont understand our game , history or traditions..

They should dig deep, spend on the present location, keep the history,traditions etc.

Another united double ,at the Don Valley would not be the same.

Don valley was a soulless place, as for the Owls moving, yes plenty of trains from BARNSLEY (SOUTH) , close to the motorway too,

But really how many football fans would want the move???, s6 has many faults and is very dated,yet again its the oversea investors that dont understand our game , history or traditions..

They should dig deep, spend on the present location, keep the history,traditions etc.

i disagree, Chansiri seems to

No, don't think it was (But that is a debate that has been had a fair few times)

like you say it's been debated many of times so not wanting to start it up again but no fences and alot of the deaths would of been injurys. obviously other factors other than the fences but not wanting to dredge all that up again. just trying to point out that standing can be safe in grounds now with all the safety precautions now, i know i'd rather be standing than sitting but not everyone feels that way

like you say it's been debated many of times so not wanting to start it up again but no fences and alot of the deaths would of been injurys. obviously other factors other than the fences but not wanting to dredge all that up again. just trying to point out that standing can be safe in grounds now with all the safety precautions now, i know i'd rather be standing than sitting but not everyone feels that way

The point is that the debate has been started up again , why ?????

What are the many faults and apart from the West Stand that plans are afoot to change what's dated?

its only a debate if people talk about it, if you ignore it it hasnt started back up...surely? :suspect:

i don't want to bring it up, it was a reference to the safe standing, not going into all that again. just making the point standing can be safe, don't want to go into the whole hilleborough debate. my point is stadiums are safe enough now compared to those days for standing to be safe so i'm all for it, just annoying when it's used as an arguement to not bring safe standing areas in.

hillsborough can be modernised to include it without having to move, not that it matters now don valley has been taken