Young professional areas in/around Sheffield city centre

Hi there,

I'm a 30yr old young (kinda!) professional and my job have offered to relocate me to Sheffield city centre area- I'm thinking about it...

I want to get an idea of the city centre area; are there many young professionals living in and around the city (S1) area? Where's a good area to look at living?

I'm 46 and lived in the city centre for 12 years, I love it. I first lived in West One for 10 yrs but it started to get a bit to noisy with the constant stream of students thinking they invented drinking, I don't know if it was an age thing but it started to get to much. I know live in Velocity Villiage at West Bar, just far enough out not to get the drunks but 5 mins walk into the centre, never heard a sound from any residents and the peoples ages range from 18 to 70, a mixture of students and professional. A lot seem to be heading towards Kelham Island area which is also only 5 mins walk from West Bar. Some developments are no go's, near Edward St. Not All

Thanks Tavit that's real helpful! Two questions:

1. So would you say West One has transitioned into a predominantly student area over the past 10yrs since you've been there?

2. Is Edward St a no go because it's dangerous? Or too raucous?

Thanks again

To the OP - it depends on what you value and what you want. There are lots of people who live in the city centre, and because Sheffield has a good tram service don't need to fork out for a car.

Don't limit yourself to the city living though if it's not for you. There are lots of areas in Sheffield that are easily within walking distance of the city centre - Upperthorpe, City Road, Sharrow, Highfields (just off London Road) are all pleasant enough areas to live around.

Lots of young professionals live in Crookes or Hunters Bar areas, though I've found them to be quite pricey and have lots of students. Still they're nice enough places to live.

West One is divided into 2 halves, Student and residential. Not that many residentials come up for rent. The drunks on Devonshire Green were getting out of control although they never bothered me it does create a bad atmosphere, they fight and urinate anywhere at anytime. Edward St is a little to close to Upperthorpe, you get a lot of Youffs coming across and intimidating people. This is just my opinion.