Sheffieldish - words & phrases

Hi willy.

I remember some but not all complimentary, "Stinks" was one for a lad that had a gland problem, Jaz, Space, Wag, Boggy and sniffer, but most were just extensions of their names by adding a "Y" to it. Smithy, Browny,Greeny or "O" Simmo, robbo, Jacko.

Funny how at school most kids were called by their surnames isn't it, like the Army...

then could understand why they called me nobby (Clarke):suspect::suspect:

Used to know a kid called chalky (White) and another called Dick (Richards), but never knew if it was after the jockey (Dick Richards ) or just Richard..

Big wig...... Important

Scrubber.... not a nice lady.

Owd boot.....elderly lady of ill repute.

If you said Ayup in Sheffield when I was a lad, we would assume you were from some exotic far away place like Bawtry, Barnsley or Rotherham.

EXOTIC barnsley ? have you been away for a long time ?:rolleyes:

EXOTIC barnsley ? have you been away for a long time ?:rolleyes:

Yup

When I was a kid, most folks had never been anyplace farther than a tanner bus ride, aside from a yearly day trip to Cleethorpes.

Yup

When I was a kid, most folks had never been anyplace farther than a tanner bus ride, aside from a yearly day trip to Cleethorpes.

Ah, those yearly charabanc trips with the local WMC...."what number coach are you on ? "..:D

Those cards with little perforated ticket that were supposed to get you cheaper goes on the stalls and rides in Wonderland...:roll:

Podge ..... Plump tummy

Gabby ..... talked too much.

Crabby ..... not feeling well

Dab on ...... sweating

Frozen ........ Feeling extremely cold

Edited by grinder

Scoppididdle was a little cracker. I don't know if the spelling is right but I was 45 before I found out what it meant.

I've never heard Scoppididdle outside Sheffield. Brilliant word !

How about 'traipsed' meaning to wander aimlessly.

Ah, those yearly charabanc trips with the local WMC...."what number coach are you on ? "..:D

Those cards with little perforated ticket that were supposed to get you cheaper goes on the stalls and rides in Wonderland...:roll:

You were considered well travelled if you had ever ridden t'serkler. (Circular bus route that went around the outskirts of Sheffield)

Motor Bus Fare Stage = bus stop

Jumpin on 'n off = riding a bus without paying when the conductor was busy upstairs.

You were considered well travelled if you had ever ridden t'serkler. (Circular bus route that went around the outskirts of Sheffield)

Motor Bus Fare Stage = bus stop

Jumpin on 'n off = riding a bus without paying when the conductor was busy upstairs.

A bottle o watter, sum jam sarneys an bus fare t Fox house to go paddling, or out to Lodge Moor an walk to Wyminbrook.... Man, we were in seventh heaven....

Edited by grinder

I can remember saying on a hot day many years ago ..( cough cough )

Nar then shal wi go tut lido for a dunk lads ( & lasses )

A bottle o watter, sum jam sarneys an bus fare t Fox house to go paddling, or out to Lodge Moor an walk to Wyminbrook.... Man, we were in seventh heaven....

Fox House, Stanage Edge, Castleton, Lodge Moor, Stoney Middleton. Little John's grave.

All a bus or train ride and a hike at the other end, and usually deserted.

And, if you couldn't resist buying a bar of chocolate with your return fare, a very long walk home.

Last month I was in the U.K. with my son. We did my old walk from Fox House to Hathersage. First time I'd ever done it with money in my pocket.

It was great to be able to get a pint, fish and chips inside the Millstone, instead of having to eat my soggy sandwiches across the road in the parking lot, usually in the rain.

Some changes. A few more trees around and they even have blackberries now.

Edited by trastrick

Well the SURPRISE is still there, but the old Toads mouth dunt have the same impact reight back there...

Al throttle thi........A mother chiding her young..