Volunteering in Sheffield

Hi,

I am thinking in about a month or so of starting to do some voluntary work on weekends. I would like to do something that helps people, and so that I can make some new friends (I have just returned to the city). I would especially be interested in doing something related to teaching, but this isn't essential. I have a business background which could be useful. I would be open minded to different types of volunteering, provided they achieve something. I would need to do something only on weekends as I work full time.

Has anyone done any volunteering that they can recommend? Does any run any projects and need people? Does anyone have any views about volunteering?

Would be interested in hearing from you.

Lisa.

Have a look on the VAS website, they have a list of opportunities available in Sheffield.

SAVTE The Sheffield Association for the Voluntary Teaching of English is great. Stick them into google and have a look at their website. They are lovely, well organised people and they train you to teach English to learners who are quite often asylum sekers or new to the country. I had a great time doing this, helped some people out, and got a good reference :-)

Also try http://www.sova.org.uk (Supporting Others through Voluntary Action), has lots of projects which range from dealing with Children to Adults and also uses Volunteers