When to put your rent up and how often ?

My nephew is the landlord of a semi- detached house and has never put the rent up in years. How often do you put the rent up and by how much?

Upto the landlord, the rate of inflation might be a starting point as by how much to increase.

or just go on rightmove, look at the prices for similar properties in the area and use that as a yardstick.

Upto the landlord, the rate of inflation might be a starting point as by how much to increase.

or just go on rightmove, look at the prices for similar properties in the area and use that as a yardstick.

Thank you for your advice. I will pass it on.

My nephew is the landlord of a semi- detached house and has never put the rent up in years. How often do you put the rent up and by how much?

I was in rented property for around 10 years and the rent never went up. If you have a tenant that rarely cost you any money, keep the increases low.

If you have a tenant that rarely cost you any money, keep the increases low.

If you have a tenant that always pays rent and doesn't cause hassle then keep the increases reasonable :thumbsup:

It might also be a good time to do a thorough inspection of the property and consider what requires maintenance.

If the tenant is unhappy with any rent increases then cost of maintenance could be put forward as reasoning.

Terrific answers to my op. Which I will pass on.:thumbsup:

I'd agree with the others. If the tenants are good and reliable then that's worth more than a few extra pounds a month. I don't raise the rent at all during a tenancy but will review the rent if a tenant leaves, my current tenants have been in for 10 years and I've never increased the rent so I think they are probably getting a ridiculously good deal about now!

I'd agree with the others. If the tenants are good and reliable then that's worth more than a few extra pounds a month. I don't raise the rent at all during a tenancy but will review the rent if a tenant leaves, my current tenants have been in for 10 years and I've never increased the rent so I think they are probably getting a ridiculously good deal about now!

Your advice is very much appreciated ! :thumbsup:

Yes agree if they are good tenants look after them dont be greedy :hihi:

The tenancy agreement should normally state how often the rent is reviewed - AFAIK you can't put it up more than once a year.

The tenancy agreement should normally state how often the rent is reviewed - AFAIK you can't put it up more than once a year.

I would imagine that only applies to a 12 month let. If it was on a 6 month let you could put it up as soon as 6 months was up especially new tenants . And to take it one step further if it as a short let as soon as new tenants move in if you wanted or you could drop it if needed to attract a tenant :hihi:

I would imagine that only applies to a 12 month let.

No it doesn't - it's common practice for an assured shorthold tenancy - the most common type of tenancy agreement - to contain a clause about rent reviews.

The OP might find some useful information here;

https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-agreements-a-guide-for-landlords/overview

It includes templates for tenancy agreements etc.