What's Beauchief like as an area to live?

Hi All,

We are looking to buy a family home and would like to hear your views on what it's like to live in beauchief? What are the primary schools like? Is it a safe place to live around Chancet Wood?

Thanks in advance!

Trude

I live down the road off Abbey Lane so can't talk about Chancet Wood specifically. I'd say the areas of Woodseats and Beauchief are generally safe though. I've lived around here for 8 years now and not had or seen much in the way of antisocial behaviour. You'd have to check your boundaries on the council website but if you're in the catchment for Abbey Lane Primary then that has a good reputation and the Secondary Meadowhead up the road is also a good school from what I know.

The area is excellent for amenities, lots of supermarkets nearby. New library/GP currently being built, new retail park up at Meadowhead also being built and new sports facilities with the Graves Sports Centre. The shops around Woodseats cover most things, butchers, fishmonger, cafes, takeaways etc. I don't know the shops around Meadowhead well. Close enough to all the cool places cropping up on Abbeydale Road and around Meersbrook, also easy access to getting out to the Peak District.

People moan about the traffic around Woodseats, it can be bad but I work shifts so not a huge issue for me. The area is crying out for a decent pub imho but lots of good ones around Meersbrook and Heeley.

I love it around here but most people tend to say that about their area I suppose!

Thanks for taking the time to reply siwid, really appreciate it. Checked on the council website & Abby lane is in the catchment area-I'm surprised there's only one primary school in the area, but pleased to hear it has a good reputation. Beauchief Abby is in walking distance which looks nice, though not actually been there yet.

Traffic looks like it gets fairly busy on the main road down to the crossroads where the beauchief hotel is? But I guess that's just living in a city!

Thanks again for your thoughts.

I live in Beauchief just of Hutcliffe wood rd and love it,its really quiet and have never had an issue with anti social behaviour .The area near the Abbey has lots of great walks in the woodland and by the golf course.

Traffic wise the Beauchief hotel junction is a bottle neck at peak times but there are other options like Archer Rd (although that gets busy too) to get on Abbeydale rd.You soon learn which to use at different times and its not really an issue for me but I mostly commute off peak.

Millhouses park is not far away either.

If you use public transport there are buses every 15 mins or so in the day into town and are pretty reliable I have a car but its often easier to get the bus into town.

You also have very good access to supermarkets with Sainsburys,Tesco and Morrisons all close by.Also the RS Mcoll (formally Co Op) is open till 10 on Hutcliffe wood rd.

Edited by Fudbeer

I love living in the area, never had any problems and it's ideally placed for so many things. If you like walking/mountain biking we've got Ecclesall Woods, Hutcliffe Woods, Chancet Woods and a lovely walk up through Beauchief Abbey and the golf course and around the Hall. Some nice little local cafes on Hutcliffe Wood Rd and not far to walk down to Millhouses Park where there is loads for the kids to do and where there are some great pubs - Waggon & Horses (now a True North pub), The Robin Hood and The Millhouses. Also some nice little shops/cafes at Millhouses and also not too far to walk to Woodseats either. A great restaurant in Marco at Milanos and not far up to The Rising Sun at Parkhead and the new Miller & Carter steak restaurant. Not far into town and the bus service is good, also not far to Dore train station. The all new Graves sports centre is up the road and the new retail outlet will bring some more good shops to the area. Sainsburys and Tesco down the road too. All the best with your families move Trude.

Thanks fudbeer & snuggles, really appreciate your replies. It's good to know about the amenities nearby as we live in crookes at the moment which is really handy. It probably has a different feel about the place over there though? You all seem to like it which is encouraging!

hi i live in beauchief . Abbey lane is a good school . The area is nice . i love it here but i love sheffield in General . good luck with move ta jeff

Chancet wood is not quite as upmarket an address as Beauchief. However some Estate agents like to stretch the boundaries of Beauchief to make a house sound like it is worth more.

Having said that Chancet wood is a nice area anyway.

Thanks jsmith2009 & muddycoffee. We're looking at Strelley Avenue which backs onto chancet wood. Is that a good road?! Would it still be classed as Beauchief? Thanks

---------- Post added 11-04-2017 at 19:25 ----------

Thanks Fudbeer, just read the article-Beauchief sounds lovely! I'm originally a West Country lass so it's nice to hear how green it is.

They got one thing spot on certainly in the abbey lane/hutcliffe rd area there is virtually no litter infact I often see locals litter picking.

Thanks jsmith2009 & muddycoffee. We're looking at Strelley Avenue which backs onto chancet wood. Is that a good road?! Would it still be classed as Beauchief? Thanks.

Hi Trude,

Yes I would say it is a good road.

Yes I would say it was Beauchief.

The roads over the other side of the woods I would say are in the district of "Chancet wood". There are lots of bungalows for older folk and it isn't quite as swish.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 19:06 ----------

They got one thing spot on certainly in the abbey lane/hutcliffe rd area there is virtually no litter infact I often see locals litter picking.

Yes its a lovely area. In the summer there are many people with fruit and veg that they have grown in their immaculate gardens offering it for a donation on their front wall.