Kids tablet amazon fire or android advise please

hi im going to buy my daughter a tablet for her birthday but no idea what to get , ive seen a kurio 2 thats android at a good price £50 and ive seen the amazon fire for around £49

ive only ever had android things and have no idea about the amazon fire , do i have to pay every month to run a fire tablet or do i have to subscribe to them . any advice would be great thanks:)

Amazon fire ypu habw to have an email address and card conected to it and amazon account.

hi im going to buy my daughter a tablet for her birthday but no idea what to get , ive seen a kurio 2 thats android at a good price £50 and ive seen the amazon fire for around £49

ive only ever had android things and have no idea about the amazon fire , do i have to pay every month to run a fire tablet or do i have to subscribe to them . any advice would be great thanks:)

just stick with android, amazon fire uses a modified android, and forces you to use amazons app store, so you need an amazon account etc...

ive got a amazon account but not the rip off prime

You have not mentioned one factor that could be important and that is the child's age. Out of the 2 you have named I would be tempted to go for the Fire and maybe this bundle:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/amazon-fire-7-tablet-bundle-16-gb-black-10148988-pdt.html

It has 16GB internal memory, a 64GB micro SD card and a case. I wouldn't worry too much about the Apps only coming from the Amazon app store as I have never found many problems with getting kids apps from them. All you need to do is register an account and don't sign up to Prime. A few years ago I bought my Grandson a Nabi 2 which only had the Amazon store on, it had only 8GB memory and he managed to fill that pretty quick. It also had a gel case that supposedly made the tablet drop proof, I'm sure you can now guess what happened!!

Amazon fire ypu habw to have an email address and card conected to it and amazon account.

Using kindle fire without a credit card linked to it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3IRFCNF3E5K2W&cdThread=Tx3HJKUGLZXJBK

Skip the OneClick/credit card section during initial setup.

The Fire is a brilliant tablet, both for adults and kids, and you can get apps for it other than from Amazon's app store.

My daughter is 8 and has had a Kindle Fire for nearly a year now, I wish I could go back and never buy it. The Fire is a lot more limited than an android, and hands down I'd go with a Tesco android or something similar in future.

Previous to that she had a Hudl (which isn't made anymore) which was much better and easier to use - both for me in restricting stuff, and for her to use and enjoy.

Got a Fire 7 inch which the kids mainly use they are 5 and 2. Had about 5-6 months, doesn't have a case or screen protector. Decided not to bother with a case as 1. I didn't buy it as such - I do surveys in my spare time and got it via one of the survey sites and 2. the kids cases seemed expensive compared to the cost of actually buying a replacement.

I tried to fit a screen protector - I think 5 altogether but I messed up the application on all of them. I can apply them fine to my phone but couldn't get them on the tablet, guessing it was due to the larger screen size?

Anyway I installed Google Play on it mainly so I could install Chrome. Didn't like the Amazon browser.

The kids happily play on it but the memory isn't large enough - can't take many apps before it runs out of space.

Even without a case and screen protector it is in good condition.

To be fair if I was using my own money I would have gone for a standard Android tablet opposed an Amazon tablet. If it was for me I would pick one with a better screen. The screen is not brilliant, not compared to my phone anyway but the kids don't seem to notice.

There is a kids mode on the Fire in case you worried about them installing anything. This will also prevent access to the browser too - unless you change this in settings.

I just have a standard Amazon account set up, not Prime etc.

You have not mentioned one factor that could be important and that is the child's age. Out of the 2 you have named I would be tempted to go for the Fire and maybe this bundle:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/amazon-fire-7-tablet-bundle-16-gb-black-10148988-pdt.html

It has 16GB internal memory, a 64GB micro SD card and a case. I wouldn't worry too much about the Apps only coming from the Amazon app store as I have never found many problems with getting kids apps from them. All you need to do is register an account and don't sign up to Prime. A few years ago I bought my Grandson a Nabi 2 which only had the Amazon store on, it had only 8GB memory and he managed to fill that pretty quick. It also had a gel case that supposedly made the tablet drop proof, I'm sure you can now guess what happened!!

My katie is coming up to 7

We have a 3 year old who is working an android (asus) without any issues i'm not a fan of the fire - but thats just me.

My katie is coming up to 7

Go have a look in John Lewis as the have the Fire in stock and on show but only in blue but may be able to order a different colour, the advantage of JL is that they also give a 2 year guarantee. The one at PCWorld is the same make but in black but has an additional 64GB SD card and case included so is better value. You may not need them especially the 64GB card but you could always sell it on. If you want a better child friendly case for protection then you can get a gel one from Amazon for around 10 quid.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TECHGEAR%C2%AE-Anti-Shock-Protective-Protection-Protector/dp/B017Z58PNG/ref=pd_sim_425_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WSVCPG75VGPTXD76XQDZ

It comes with a screen protector too which I would advise to put on as well to help stop scratches.

My eldest lad quickly found out the limitations of the horrible Amazon operating system when he was four years old, he hated it, he loved the Android tablet we replaced it with, same when we passed the Amazon on to his younger brother at the same age, we had to replace that with an Android tablet because he saw the games his older brother was running on his Android and the Amazon wouldnt run them.