The Oscars - aren't ya sick of them?

All hype and hyperbole. Within a few months most of us won't remember who won anyway. In any case, the choice of best film or best actor etc. is very largely subjective and, in the case, of the Oscars, is influenced by factors other than artistic merit.

I don't need to watch the Oscars to know which are the best movies of the year. In my view they are Manchester by the Sea, Lion and Hacksaw Ridge.

All hype and hyperbole. Within a few months most of us won't remember who won anyway. In any case, the choice of best film or best actor etc. is very largely subjective and, in the case, of the Oscars, is influenced by factors other than artistic merit.

I don't need to watch the Oscars to know which are the best movies of the year. In my view they are Manchester by the Sea, Lion and Hacksaw Ridge.

I have not watched award shows of any kind for years, because of what you describe. The whole world is celebrity crazy, these days, and award shows just highlight that. People should really learn to get a life of their own.

It seems that with La La Land, or any film dealing with Hollywood, such films get loads of awards.

I fully agree with the actual winners being influenced by other factors, last year the awards were slated for the lack of black candidates this year a film with a mostly black cast wins best picture, very poor and quite offensive.

I fully agree with the actual winners being influenced by other factors, last year the awards were slated for the lack of black candidates this year a film with a mostly black cast wins best picture, very poor and quite offensive.

You found it offensive? Really?

You found it offensive? Really?

Not offensive to me no, not at all.

Not offensive to me no, not at all.

Who do you think was offended by moonlight winning best picture?

Maybe the La La Land people on stage lol:confused: Not that I watched the show, but I can only imagine the hidden angst.

Edited by TORONTONY

Give it a rest Trevor Phillips, I was indicating that by not choosing films on merit the academy was offensive to the eventual winners/losers.

Give it a rest Trevor Phillips, I was indicating that by not choosing films on merit the academy was offensive to the eventual winners/losers.

Calm down treacle. It's got decent reviews as has the cast, as did la la land as did fences. In terms of box office takings all have been beaten by suicide squad. It's film, ergo it's art and totally subjective anyway. I don't think any of the other nominees not even la la land would be offended. Annoyed yes, offended no.

Got to agree Top,have seen the film and though watchable not outstanding,my opinion,thank God something other than white won or another complaint would have come along.

Got to agree Top,have seen the film and though watchable not outstanding,my opinion,thank God something other than white won or another complaint would have come along.

I've just been looking through the past oscar winners and a fair chunk of films I can't remember and some of the winners are as mystifying now as the probably were then. Some have stood the test of time, not all though.