Dronfield Bypass - roadworks

Does anybody know what works are taking place under the Dronfield Bypass and when they finish?

That bit alone costs me 5 minutes to get home on most nights, not to mention the fact that EVERYBODY piles into the right hand lane at first sight of the yellow roadwork signs and then slams on their brakes like maniacs leading to frequent head/tail incidents...

Also - any viable alternatives? Tried the Newbold to Dore route once and that is tedious... almost tempted to try and find a route through the East of the A61 but really don't know that area at all?

The alternatives are the country roads via barlow and Holmesfield or the old main road via unstone and Dronfield bottom. Can't imagine either would be any quicker

Drive through Unstone and Dronfield, and toot as you go past! Where exactly are you coming from?

It is work on tbe railway bridge I think.

You tried going via the M1?

It is a really, really long distance around, in theory it makes sense timewise, but the cost to fuel etc. makes it unrealistic :( All options via Google Maps and Siri (iPhone) lead onto Bypass regardless.

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 19:49 ----------

Drive through Unstone and Dronfield, and toot as you go past! Where exactly are you coming from?

It is work on tbe railway bridge I think.

Do you know how long the work is planned for? Will have a look at Unstone/Dronfield!

Nah, not a clue how long.

Meanwhile, roadworks again at the junction by the Coach and Horses, three way lights, stick to the Dronny bypass..

Is it these? Just find the road on the map, enlarge it and click on the roadworks symbol.

http://derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/roads_traffic/roadworks/current_roadwork_activity/default.asp

Roadworks, delays likely

7 Apr 2015 - 22 Jan 2017

A61 Unstone - Dronfield Bypass,...

Responsibility for these works

Derbyshire County Council

Information for Road Users

A61 Unstone - Dronfield Bypass, Dronfield, Derbyshire

Traffic lights, etc: Lane closureInformation for Operational Teams

Is it these? Just find the road on the map, enlarge it and click on the roadworks symbol.

http://derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/roads_traffic/roadworks/current_roadwork_activity/default.asp

Roadworks, delays likely

7 Apr 2015 - 22 Jan 2017

It certainly seems to be taking a very long time and some explanation of what exactly is being done might be of interest to a lot of us.

I know protective lane closures are necessary, but the length of the closure for this work certainly seems very much longer than might be justified. That said it probably only adds a couple of minutes at most to the average journey.

Hopefully it's only another 2 weeks until completion - if the information is correct. The bridge must have been in quite a state!

I've seen a sign somewhere saying that it's bridge repairs until dec16

That bit alone costs me 5 minutes to get home on most nights,

Alternative routes will take longer and 5 minutes more than usual on a journey home won't cause you any harm will it?

not to mention the fact that EVERYBODY piles into the right hand lane at first sight of the yellow roadwork signs

Perhaps you should start a little thread about that :hihi:

Roadworks, delays likely

7 Apr 2015 - 22 Jan 2017

Thanks, just a week and a bit to go then!

Alternative routes will take longer and 5 minutes more than usual on a journey home won't cause you any harm will it?

Perhaps you should start a little thread about that :hihi:

I should, it drives me nuts! To explain, in the Netherlands the government ran a very successful campaign about merging - inventing the word 'ritsen' ie. zipping like you do a zipper up. People there now know that they will get the room required to merge into the other lane or to give the room required in an orderly fashion and it has made a huge difference to lane closure situations like this.

I see the sign on there saying when they'll be finished was recently changed again. That sign has gone something like June 2016, then September 2016, then December 2016, now it's January 2017. Hopeful of this one being correct as they've only given themselves an extra month this time ! :)