Sheffield city Council proposal of rent increase for 2017/2018

Hi all,

I am a member of the Sheffield Allotment Federation we were given notice yesterday of the upcoming Allotment advisory Groups meeting is on December 20th.

At this meeting there will be council members, Chris Heeley, The Allotments office manager & officers, The sheffield Allotment Federation and any constituted allotment group are invited.

One of the topics up for discussion (although not confirmed on the agenda as yet) is the councils proposal for rent increase for the 2017/2018 year. It is believed the increase is potentially 8% cost overall per plot.

Also to higher the age range annually to fall in line within the pension age bracket on who can claim a age related concession. (There fore no one can claim until they retire, instead of 60 years old when you can now claim the concession at present) If either of these go ahead the Sheffield City council have to issue every tenant 12 months advance notice with your rent invoices this year. The decision could be made at the meeting on 20th December.

The Sheffield Allotment Federation helped stopped a potential increase for next year only last December. That was proposed at 2.3%.

What i asking is below on this thread could you leave comments for or against on what your thoughts are regarding the increase so i can take these to the Allotment Advisory meeting to help the council make there decision. This thread is not endorsed or a view of The sheffield Allotment Federation or The Allotment Advisory group it is to get a general consensus of feeling towards the potential rent increase only.

Thank you

hi sheryl. looks like the council is trying to run rough shod over allotment people once again, Sheffield already charges far more than some other areas as it is. i share our plot with an old gentleman and the full rent is £112 without his discount and water isnt included.I have found a letter dated 18/03/16 that states allotment charges have been frozen for 2017/2018. There have been 2 allotments available on our site since April this year, one which in a terrible condition has just been let..

Sorry my error the increase is proposed for 2018/2019. The 12 months notice they have to give will be in 2016/2017