Swine flu disciplinary

Youre allowed to sign yourself off work for 5 days without a sick note after that you need to have a doctors note. That sounds very unacceptable, at our work they only look at it suspiciously if you have more than 5 recurrences in a year not how many days you actually take off, its the people to take the mick with sick days that spoil it for the rest of us!!!!

If your wife is on a proper contract it should outline everything on there which means the employer wouldn't have a leg to stand on!!!

I bet if the management had swine flu they wouldn't come in and still get paid for it! The best way to deal with 'middle management' or the little Hitlers as they are is either to go above there heads and complain to the big boss or if their being arsy with a few the next time they need a favour all tell them to get on their bike! often its not a company directive to get the blog on over you actually being ill just someone trying to impress and get a promotion by being hard on the staff.

The only way a sickness of Swine would be taken into account for a conduct, is if their attendance previous was totally unacceptable, ie if they had weeks of now and again, with whatever then they get a real illness which takes them over the 'allowed' sickness days.

Such a sad situation that this thread concentrates on poor/crap/little hitler managers. The reality is, this is a minority and most people find that their employers are sensible and many people find they get support in times of illness. Absence policies/discplinaries are there for a reason and sometimes, believe it or not - there are a few people who wish to take the mick and take an entitlement of sick leave they believe they have. The rules are there to try and prevent this which only burdens the remaining hardworking/genuine and conscientous folk who do turn up to work and generally only take time off when absolutely desperately necessary. Everyone knows the shirkers and everyone knows those who are genuine. Generally what you'll find is the policies will apply to everyone to encourage fairness and consistency - but formal corrective action will be taken against those who have a poor history of attendance and who generally can't be bothered to fulfil the terms and conditions of their contract. Let's face it - people are paid to go to work to do a job. If someone can't fulfil the terms of that - through periods of sickness and absence - they they are breaching their contracts. Companies have sick pay to support employees through these hard times. It's not charity and some people need to realise that it's a two way relationship and not think they have an automatic right to long periods of sickness absence.

She can have 5 days with a stat sick note.. She could do with seeing a union rep. I work for council and they are trying to do same to me. 1st week i had stat sick note and then doctor signed me off for another week and half. When i was told that i was going in to stage one for management and capability at work i was totaly shocked. Feel same as you should have come into work and given it everyone. I spoke to my union rep and he laughed and said they dont have a leg to stand on and told me not to worry. If its a large company then you can kinda fight back but if its a small company you dont really have a chance.

if a doctor signs you off the company cant do anything about it no matter how big or small it is

Hi

Most companies now have return to work interviews and absence percentages that staff must stay under to avoid disciplainary action. However swine flu in my company is not included in the disciplainary figures and so at my company you would not be disciplined. Has your wife followed to the letter all requirements ie notification etc. An invite to disciplinary DOES not mean that she will be disciplined but if she is she can always appeal. Good luck.