Upcycling (lights)

Hello, im currently redecorating & re furnishing my home on a tight budget, so i want to try and upcycle n old brass three armed ceiling light, im planning to spray either silver or black, i have some xmas plastic beads (i also want to spray) but then i want to attach some kind of glass droplets (like on a chandelier) i know you can by these ebay has lots but there glass & very expensive , so i wondered if anyone knows of something cheaper and where to get them, also would the light be safe to use or decoration only thank you for reading

It depends what you mean by "on a budget" and "expensive".

Many years ago we needed to buy three, four / five arm ceiling lights, a wall light and a table lamp for the same room. As it would not be cheap I wanted to make sure I took my time and find what I wanted. It took four years to find what I wanted so in the meantime I refurbished the existing lights. Upcycled has a different meaning, you are using lights as lights so not really upcycling.

Anyhow, my lights were white wooden carved things with shades on. I sprayed them gold and 'antiqued' the 'carvings' with black paint. I removed the shades and put modern candle shaped bulbs in place of the light bulbs. This was seventeen years ago, I know styles change. I made sure I used proper paint so it wasn't going to be a fire risk.

I do have a few light fittings with crystals on, traditional and contemporary. I have bought proper chandelier crystals for my xmas tree. I don't find them expensive. Mine are glass rather than the expensive crystals, not sure which you were referring to. The plastic ones don't refract the light so I would suggest you don't use those. The crystal seller sells on ebay but has his own website too. I can find his details if you want but what do you consider cheap and expensive? How many are you looking for, what colour, what design, price, size etc?

Edit - this is who I have used:

https://seeardropschandeliers.lighting/collections/all

Edited by Chez2

thank you for you reply i have found someone on ebay & purchased the glass pieces thank you for replying though, oh by the way cost for finished item (that im thrilled with was ) £2.99 light fitting, £2.99 spray paint, then £3.00 for assorted costume necklaces local charity shop, the finidhed item i just love x

If you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

I was directing you to that site because I thought you wanted crystals that refract the light. I bought the aurora borealis to do just that. They have a mirror coating on one side to refract the light into rainbows around the room.

I would love to see a photo of your finished light fitting. It sound like a nice bespoke, bohemian creation rather than a traditional chandelier, which is what I thought you were asking for parts for.