RIP Mary Tyler Moore

I remember her in 'Thoroughly Modern Millie' as it has been on TV a lot, never saw any of her other shows though

R.I.P.

an absolutely top ranking feminist icon.

her best film role was in the 1980 Ordinary People, a really excellent film but where very unusually, she played a rather unsympathetic character.

her background was song and dance and had she been born 20 or 30 years earlier she would have done that more in musical-type entertainments. If you look up some of the old Dick Van Dyke black and white shows on YouTube you can see how good an entertainer she was.

it was like a whole generation of American women came of age with her.

it's difficult to overstate how important the Mary Tyler Moore show was in the 1970s, not just Mary but the other female characters Rhoda and Phyllis who later got spin-off shows with their names in the title, had never been seen on television before, and were totally revolutionary for the time.

I bet it's not gone up as much as the football rights at @£314m Infact I think I read it's hardly increased at all for years.