Regent School Of Dancing

Regent School of Dancing under the direction of June Wood { later June Adams} was situated on Bradfield Road, Hillsborough, and was a school of dance formed by June, an ex Tiller Girl. She formed the school circa 1949 for the tuition of Tap, Ballet and Acrobatics. These skills formed the basis of stage shows and were expertly Choreographed by June from Musical Theatre of the day , eg in the 1950's remember Salad Days, The Boy Friend, Swan Lake , Annie Get your Gun.

Piano accompaniment by my late mother Peggy Marshman from the outset to well into the mid 1970's

These expertly rehearsed routines for the children , mainly girls , lead to an annual Variety Show at a major Sheffield Theatre and then many charitable shows were performed around the Sheffield area.

There must be many ex starlets who still remember those days and would be interesting to hear of any original members of June's School

Gary Marshman North Wales

I went to The Regent dancing school in the late 60s early 70s..... I remember it well. The dance studio was on bradfield road near the flats at the back of the shops & some industrial firms. It was up some very steep stairs.I remember June being a lager than life character who got very involved with the dancing. I remember she had a stepson & she lived on Vere Road at Hillsborogh.....also remember she had breast cancer.

Other girls there at the same time Judith(think her surname may have been Burrell,her family had the fruit & veg shop on Penistone road. Loretta & Jackie (thier dad played drums I think) Margaret Minor (lived on Parson Cross road). Estralita, Yvonne, Tracy & her siblings(surname Cade or Cave).

We did concerts at the Mappin school for the blind,Middlewood hospital, Sacred Heart church & others that I can't recall.

Hello boozybird,

Glad you have remembered your times with June Wood. Peggy Marshman would still be playing the piano as accompanist, and I would sometimes drop her off and pick her up ,at that time.

The venues you mention now come back to me along with others . I still get Xmas cards from June, which I continue to do since Peg died 2006, and she is still living on Vere Road. Her mum old Mrs Wood used to baby sit me when I lived on Dudley Road, late 40,s to 1952, then we moved to Crosspool.

Thanks for remembering even as far away as Portsmouth.

Glad to hear June is still with us.didn't realise that she still lived at vere Road

I used to service Junes car in the sixties and she was a friend of my late wife who lived on Bickerton Rd.I remember June very well,very pretty girl.Garry did you know Herbert Moy who lived on Dudley Rd he was a milkman?

Hello bullerboY,

Glad you remembered June.

I lived on Dudley Road til 1952 and went to Hillsborough Infant and junior school. I lived at no 23 , which incidently is where Junes husband's son lives !

On Dudley road dont recollect Herbert Moy.

I do remember next door Tom and Bet East captain at the barracks , other side Mrs. Blades ,then Betty Yule my play mate and parents, opposite Ronnie Sammons and parents , Claire Wilfin and parents, my other playmate , next to them The Cullisnatas , think they were Belgian , a Diplomat I think , Bert and Anne French and 2 kids, Graham Bagshaw and parents , who played the Zylophone , at other end The Roberts , I went to school with the 2 lads. Hows that for a memory from 66 plus years ago ?

Hi Garry,you may have known my late wife her name was Ann Robinson and she went to the same school as you and left in 1953,June must be in her eighties now.Herbert Moy lived at the bottom of Dudley Rd opposite the TA centre there was a policeman who lived at the top on the righthand side but I forget his name.I remember a few Wednesday players lodged on Dudley Rd.

Hello bullerboY

We left Dudley Road shortly after the death of King George 6 so mid 1952. I was 7 years old . How old would Ann have been ?

Some names I cant recall from Dudley Road, but it was a happy place to be , a good childrens area, with birthday parties prevalent. The Name was Cullisantas , spelt it wrong , still may have !! The memory may pick up soon !

Yes my mother Peggy Marshman, always said Junes age was a mystery, but would say circa 85 years. If thats wrong she will scold me !!!!

Yes I remember neighbours were Dooley and Quigley. Maybe one lived across the River Don in Shenstone Road.Not a football fan , only football match I went to was in 1949 at Wednesday Ground with dad . Someone said recently it would have been match between United and Wednesday !

Gaqry Marshman North Wales

Ann would have been older than you she would have been 73 now,ask june if she remembers her.and Pat Coldwell also off Bickerton Rd.

Hello, i was reading this and want to tell you i know june wood (adams) very well.Lets say she like my 3rd nannan. she is still in to dancing and gymnastics very much, she has has been teaching me since i was 2 or 3 years old and now i have just turned 17 and she still is my ballet and tap teacher and she is aslo my gymnastics teacher and now learning how to become both dancing and gymnastics teacher. she doesn't do as much as she used to do now but she still the boss at gymnastics.:)

I am sure june remember you all.she always tells me storise about when she was younger and her dancing school and when she used to dance.

also june just had her birthday (we took her to london to see some show) i am sure it was her 73th birthday. :)

dancer12

It is good to see another contributor to this Thread on June Wood.

June has dedicated her lifetime to Dance and should be remembered for her contribution to entertainment in the Sheffield area to charitable institutions since the 1940's . I have know her nearly all my life,am sure there must be many ex starlets out there who given there first opportunity through The Regent School of Dancing, have had their first taste of stardem.

As I have said to June in the past , she needs a Website dedictate to the history of her Dance school for future correlation of her achievements over the years, and her pupils.Where are they now ?

On the question of her age, it has always been a closely guarded secret, and I fear for my health should I reveal the true numbers!

Gary Marshman

North wales

Hello, i was reading this and want to tell you i know june wood (adams) very well.Lets say she like my 3rd nannan. she is still in to dancing and gymnastics very much, she has has been teaching me since i was 2 or 3 years old and now i have just turned 17 and she still is my ballet and tap teacher and she is aslo my gymnastics teacher and now learning how to become both dancing and gymnastics teacher. she doesn't do as much as she used to do now but she still the boss at gymnastics.:)

I am sure june remember you all.she always tells me storise about when she was younger and her dancing school and when she used to dance.

also june just had her birthday (we took her to london to see some show) i am sure it was her 73th birthday. :)

Hi Dancer12,

If you manage to get this post. Please could you ask June, if she has any old archive photographs of those days.

It's my mums funeral on the 2nd March and I want to have a picture blown up, her name is Eileen Gunstone, thanks for looking

Andrea