Anyone know of Man Gee Wong?

On ‘ex Pats’ recently I saw a mention of Wong’s Chinese Laundry which was on Ecclesall Road before and during the second world war. I went to school with his son, Man Gee, and we usually walked home together. The last I heard of him was many years ago when he appeared on a television programme. He’d opened a business selling designing chinese women’s clothing. After that, I believe he went into the ashpalt business. Love to hear from him. If anyone knows where he is. I’ve tried the telephone book but he’s not listed.

I’m still looking for information about Man Gee Wong, but with a bit more information. After the second world war he appeared on Granada Television when it also covered Yorkshire, and he was designing and selling chinese style clothing. The last I heard was that he had an asphalt business. If anyone remembers him, please let me know what’s happened to him. He attended Pomona Street school just before the war and was later transferred to Hunter’s Bar when Pomona Street school closed during the hostilities. His parents had a Chinese Laundry on Ecclesall Road.

Hi. Just wanted to say, I'm currently searching into the story of the chinese laudromat as well. I met a chinese guy from a walking group who asked me about this laundromat too. But his surname is Lee. I know my grand-dad (from my mom's side) must be around in Sheffield around the time that you talked of. I personally like to know who were the first chinese immigrant to Sheffield. I'll ask my grandma when I see her next about the laudromat, or anything she remembers of that era. :)

By the way, the surname 'Wong' is meant to be one of the top 100 common chinese surname. So it may be quite hard to find the right person.

mangy wong? hee hee Sorry can't help but at least this will bump you up

Richt100 — Sorry mate, but it doesn’t help. Gee, you’ve got it all Wong, Man. This is supposed to be a discussion group.

Bago — I wish you well in your search. I know the name Wong is quite popular in China, but there’s not even 100 in the Sheffield telephone Directory and my Wong is not listed in it

Bago — I wish you well in your search. I know the name Wong is quite popular in China, but there’s not even 100 in the Sheffield telephone Directory and my Wong is not listed in it

Do be careful you don't wing the wong number! (Sorry, I know it's an old joke, but just couldn't resist the temptation!).

lol...oh dear... Thank God my surname is not W®ong. ;)

Peter - Thanks.

People may have moved house and therefore become ex-directory. It's quite rare for this person to stay in Sheffield. You're talking about 30+ years ago ? My only advice for you is to try the electorate roll for the surname Wong. You might find the person's descendents.

Or alternatively, get in touch with somebody in the Chinese Community Centre on London Rd. Some people may be able to help you there. I know some of the chinese OAP get together there sometimes.

Thanks Bago, I’ll do that. I have found out that he was still in Sheffield during the 1980s, but he would be — he was born there.

Hi, I remember him from the 50's. He opened the Rickshaw Restaurant on West Street and later, another in Castleton, just below the castle.

His brother Man Kin was at Nether Edge Grammar when I was but he was two or three years above me.

There was a Chinese family who owned a laundry on Middlewood Road for years

My brother and sister went to Hillsborough County school with the son in the late 20's,early thirties.

I believe their surname was Wong and the son was Peter.

These are the earliest Chinese in Sheffield that I can remember.

Maybe someone from the Chinese community can tell us who were he first Chinese familes in Sheffield?

Happy Days!

Didn't Man Gee Wong run the RICKSHAW on Devonshire street.

I'm sure i did a job for someone buy that name.

Spoke perfect english.