Mighty Melvyn

Posting on the Fine Fare thread got me thinking about some of the Firth Park characters. One of the regulars in the shop was the 'Go Go' dancer from the pubs The Mighty Melvyn. He would strut around in his bleach blonde hair, canary yellow shirt and lime green satin trousers !! Come on, who remembers him ?? he was practically famous and I bet there are a few good stories!

i remember mighty melvin from the penguin on mason lathe rd. long time ago.

I know someone who we call mighty Melvin, but don't know if it's the same person.

Do you have any more details like his age or when this was?

I know someone who we call mighty Melvin, but don't know if it's the same person.

Do you have any more details like his age or when this was?

I guess he would be about 60 now. Anyone that frequented the 60's pubs that had discos or live music will have seen him at some time. Trust me, if you'd seen him in those days, its not likely that you would forget him in a hurry....he was quite a character.

I guess he would be about 60 now. Anyone that frequented the 60's pubs that had discos or live music will have seen him at some time. Trust me, if you'd seen him in those days, its not likely that you would forget him in a hurry....he was quite a character.

That fits the age bracket, but I'm not old enough to have been in the pubs in the 60's. The last time I saw him he was dressed as a tart at a Vicar & Tarts night.

i played in a band in the 70,s and we had MIGHTY MELVYN dance in front of the stage while we sang "GIMME SOME" i couldnt dare to look at him the song wasn,t appropriate but he was a character........is he still around ????

we used to watch m.m. at the enfield down cliff around 71 72 brill guy used to do a strip at end of show. just got myself worried now why I was watching a bloke strip.:huh: :huh: :suspect:

Used to go to the penguin and see MM, there used to be a woman go-go dancer with him as well must have been arounf 1975 ish think it was a thursday night. The woman dancer would sometimes get abuse and stuff thrown at her

I remember Mighty Melvin! I saw him in 1975 at The Travelers Rest in Rotherham. I called in on what was a disco night and there was a board outside saying Mighty Melvin was appearing. No idea who he was. Then I saw this tartish looking older woman dancing and thought? She's a bit old to be in here. Next thing she is stripping off!

Anyway, just as he almost got to the end of his act somebody said something abusive to him and the offender got smacked! One of the funniest acts I have ever seen. Next day in the Star I read an article saying that he had got married again second time around and that he lived on the manor.

I would think he's at least 60 now.

Yes I seem to remember him, I used to go in the Warncliffe at Firth Park,late 60s early 70s and he was one of the regulars,I think his real name was Melvin Shakespere, and I believe he worked as a Joiner in Maintainance at Arthur Lees Wincobank, I thinks this is the same guy,apologies if its not,but my memory isn't what it used to be.I used to drive for a band called "Dry Sac" named after the Sherry!!,and we used to Practice in the Wharncliffe concert room.

Edited by stevenorfolk

The last I heard of Mighty Melvyn he was running a pub at Lady's Bridge or the Wicker, I think. I'm sure I read an article in the Star about it being on fire or something but it's a good few years ago now.

i last saw melvyn in skegness 6yrs ago he was living there and the week before he had all is costumes pinched