Magnet pub in Southey

does anyone remember the magnet pub at southey green?? closing it down......was it a good or bad choice???

Not sure about whether it was a good idea or not but they could have done something with the space instead of leaving it for the kids to play smash the bottle on :rolleyes:

does anyone remember the magnet pub at southey green?? closing it down......was it a good or bad choice???

Was my Dads second home, edit: first home.

i dont really remember that much apart from going in with my family for the easter bonnet parade when we were kids.oh yeah and the trouble and police raids nearly every weekend.i remember one police dog being kicked to death in a raid there.......

I used to deliver the newspapers there in 1955, I remember going in for a pint when I turned 18 & it was like dishwater, just like the rest of the John Smiths brew.

Yes, it was great in the 40s & 50s.My father was the bookmaker there.Later on it became a den for drug pushers and was closed down because of that.

whilst clearing my mum in laws house (departed last saturday bless her) yesterday came across a lot of old photographs, includedin these were some snaps of the outside and inside, my fater in law always used to stand at the top end of the bar near the poolroom (this used to be the take away off license bit) anyone remeber him, alf walton.

Apparantly one night a gang walked in there and wheeled away the bandit in front of everyone and no one said or did nuffin......enuff said

Was my Dads second home, edit: first home.

We used to sit on the step outside the pub,waiting for our dad to bring us a packet of crisps out. No pub lunches in those days.

I used to go in there from time to time during the late 70s early 80s. It was a loud rowdy place but I bloody loved it in there.

From what ive heared, the locals all go to the white horse or the forty foot now? Is that right?

I used to go in there from time to time during the late 70s early 80s. It was a loud rowdy place but I bloody loved it in there.

From what ive heared, the locals all go to the white horse or the forty foot now? Is that right?

What year exactly was it pulled down Jabbers, do you know?.I didnt think it was there in the 80 s.But I maybe wrong.

I think it went down in the late 80s... Im not 100% sure on that though, I didnt live far form there but I rarely ventured into that area.