Peter Swan - any stories about him?

I'm working on a book with former Sheff Weds star Peter Swan - does anyone have any memories of him they would like to share? Perhaps you knew him in his playing days or bought a car from him when he worked for Shukers...

Any interesting anecdotes would be greatfully received and acknowledged in the book if they are used.

he was one of the best as a footballer untill he sold matches that was his downfall, agreat pity.

I think he was involved with ONE match, a game at Ipswich that I attended. Wednesday lost 2-0 against a team that had played in the European Cup that season and had good strikers in Ted Phillips and Ray Crawford. It was unnecessary and very sad. Some players, the naive, seemed to be made scapegoats of whilst some of the villains got away!

Owd Swanny was one of the best center halves I have ever seen.It was a pleasure watching him.Thanks for the memory.:)

swaneee what a player.

The Man U fans hated him he always seemed to upset them by hiting the first ball he recieved in a game high into their stand.

if my memory serves me right in 1962 Wednesday played at old trafford in the FA cup .

During one MU attack Swanee cleared the ball from behind his own goal line and Wednesday went straight up the other end where I think it was fantham gained a dubious penalty ( called a dive today).

Wednesday won that one 1-0 from the penalty scored by Tom Mcnearny.

O what great footballing days they were.

swaneee what a player.

The Man U fans hated him he always seemed to upset them by hiting the first ball he recieved in a game high into their stand.

if my memory serves me right in 1962 Wednesday played at old trafford in the FA cup .

During one MU attack Swanee cleared the ball from behind his own goal line and Wednesday went straight up the other end where I think it was fantham gained a dubious penalty ( called a dive today).

Wednesday won that one 1-0 from the penalty scored by Tom Mcnearny.

O what great footballing days they were.

As a Blade I always thought he was overated, Joe Shaw was the best uncapped centre half England never had, playing at the same time.

1960, my friend, a 5th round tie which earned them a 6th round passage to Bramall Lane. Gregg tried to 'bluff' McAnearney by standing nearer one of his posts but Tommy went for the narrow side and scored! It was at the end opposite the Stretford end. Wednesday did draw Manchester United in the next two seasons, one of which, was the 7-2 replay win at OT.

Swan, needless to say, was never popular at Bramall Lane. He often got penalised for fouling Doc Pace when it was often the United striker backing in to him!

1960, my friend, a 5th round tie which earned them a 6th round passage to Bramall Lane. Gregg tried to 'bluff' McAnearney by standing nearer one of his posts but Tommy went for the narrow side and scored! It was at the end opposite the Stretford end. Wednesday did draw Manchester United in the next two seasons, one of which, was the 7-2 replay win at OT.

Swan, needless to say, was never popular at Bramall Lane. He often got penalised for fouling Doc Pace when it was often the United striker backing in to him!

Ahhh! Doc Pace, nostalgia nostalgia nostalgia. And Alan Woodward, the best dead ball kicker in the league until Beckham came along!

Don't know anything about his footballing triumphs ... but he was really good looking, wore white short shorts and had great legs .... most of the girls in my form had his name written on the inside of our satchels along with our other unattainable idols :P

... he was such a refreshing change from all those baldy men with baggy shorts ... some of us even developed an interest in games and went to watch matches :hihi:

Edit: sorry, have i lowered the tone :cool:

Alevans,

You are absolutely correct in my view re the abilities of Alan Woodward. As a young Blade in the early seventies, I idolised the man. I met him twice, and on both occasions he was kind and gracious. In sharp contrast to his dynamic footballing style, Woodward was modest to a fault. It has been said by several of his former team-mates of the era that he simply had no conception of how talented he was. Anyone who attended the Lane in Woody's heyday would be left in no doubt whatsoever. Your comparison with Beckham's 'dead ball kicking' technique is appropriate, though many today would not believe it.

Peter Swan was slightly before my time, but my late father [a Wednesdayite, God forgive him] certainly rated him highly.

Peter Swann is married to my husbands exwifes sister. When I first started going out with my husband we visited Peter at the pub he used to run in the centre of Brimington chesterfield and he had his England caps on display.I also used to watch him play during the sixties what a good player.

Peter Swan,Tony Kay,Ron Springett. The Owls could do with three playing like them at the moment.