Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

Did there used to be a nightclub above the shops on the corner of Broadfield Road and London Road?

Silhouette, later Highway 61 if I recall?

Does anyone remember the Top Rank Suite on Arundel Gate, and when it first opened in 1968, and anyone who worked there, I would be pleased to hear from you,

178 Patricia

Saw some great acts in Baileys in the 70's including Showaddy Waddy, Gerry and the Pacemakers and Lyndsey de Paul. Went a bit down hill in the later years.

Does anyone remember the Tuesday Night Disco Dancing at Nether Edge Hall.

Also the Heartbeat Club at Silver Blades on Queens Road used to go there with my friends on a Saturday Night.

178 Patricia

I don't recall the 'Bierkeller' being on Bank Street (behind the old A.B.C. Cinema). To me that was the 'Cavandish Club' which opened in May 1967, later changing it's name to 'Bailey's' and after that to 'Romeo and Juliet's'.

Does anyone remember the Tuesday Night Disco Dancing at Nether Edge Hall.

Also the Heartbeat Club at Silver Blades on Queens Road used to go there with my friends on a Saturday Night.

178 Patricia

Great Tuesday nights at Nether Edge Hall. With regards to the Heartbeat, Tuesdays and Sunday nights were the most popular for us and Saturdays we usually ended up at the Top Rank after visiting the Buccaneer and the Claymore. From about 1974 onwards the Craisy Daisy was our popular haunt. Happy days!

Hello Everyone,

I wrote a new blog about seeing bands at The Broadfield, Nowsoc in Bar 2 at the University and the Blitz club at the George IV.

http://www.mylifeinthemoshofghosts.com/2016/01/23/salon-graph-nowsoc-22nd-october-1979-the-broadfield-30th-november-1979-blitz-club-11th-december-1979/

Enjoy.

Dodger

Always enjoy reading these, brings back great memories

I seem to recall their was a nightclub or pub on Charles Street briefly a gay venue . The name Charles Street Club I seem to think it may have called been closed for years?

Hi there, are you thinking of Faces?

I worked at Talk of the Town on Carver st in 1978 also at Genevieve Max O'Mara used to own both clubs and if they were short staffed one of us would go to work at Genevieve. Most of my nights off would be spent at the Fiesta Live acts & chicken in a basket. Great.

Think you mean Max Omar - he didn't look very Irish to me LOL

I know the posting is old but I'll reply. The Mighty Atom's real name was Chris, don't know last name, although someone on here has put Crossley I think. He was the DJ at the Heartbeat (above the ice rink) when I used to go there 1970. I often wondered over the years how he was, what he was up to, then saw him in "Come Dine with Me", set in Sheffield, a few years ago. Not once did he mention his dj-ing days.

---------- Post added 30-01-2017 at 20:20 ----------

They hypnotist you are thinking of was Martin St James.

---------- Post added 30-01-2017 at 20:22 ----------

Think you mean Max Omar - he didn't look very Irish to me LOL

His name was Max Omare and he rang me up one night when short staffed in Genevieve's (around 1973) to help out in the cloakroom.

---------- Post added 30-01-2017 at 20:33 ----------

Ah mighty melvin, used to drive Him around to his gigs now and then, bit of a minder if you like. Never got any trouble from the men but the women used to go mental.

For those who don't know, Melvyn passed away about 4 years ago, Christmas time. I went to his funeral.

In reply to Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember ?

My friend and I used to go to the Heartbeat above Silver Blades Ice Rink every Saturday Night, and the DJ was called Chris Hey.

---------- Post added 30-01-2017 at 21:04 ----------

Does anyone remember the Nether Edge Hall Disco, which was held on a Tuesday night in the 60'S ??

178 Patricia