Family tree - Hodgson Street?

Hi,

When doing my family tree I have found out that during the 1800s various of my ancestors lived on Hodgson Street. Numbers 57 and 117. During my childhood I lived on Hurst Road and attended St. Silas school so I know the street quite well but I really cannot guess whereabouts on Hodgson Street these two house numbers would have been. Anyone out there who might have lived on the street and might be able to help me?

Grannypat

Hi grannypat - the odd numbers were on the south side of Hodgson Street - here is a map showing the approximate locations of the two addresses. The pioturesheffield.com site has a photo showing Maria Jackson, née Vickers outside No 117 - here is a link..:)

Edited by hillsbro

Hi hillsbro - Thank you so much for that. I am really interested in the map. Could you tell me how I can get a copy. What area does it cover? I've been after an old street map of Sheffield for ages but I can't seem to find a good clear one like the one you sent me.

grannypat

The map is a "Bacon's Town Plan" of Sheffield, published in c. 1914. But they aren't easy to find (I picked this one up at a junk fair in the 1980s). The http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk website has a great many old maps of Sheffield visible online which can be very useful for locating long-gone streets etc.

Hi Hillsbro,

You are a blinkin' marvel. Thanks for your help and advice. I shall try to get hold of a Bacon's if at all possible. It sounds as though it may take a while but I shall not give up.

Grannypat

Grannypat & Hillsbro

I am a new member and I also have a connection to Hodgson St. My great grandfather, John Whitaker ran The Vine Tavern during the 1880's and his daughter, my grandmother, was born in 1884 in #7 Hodgson St. which I believe was also the address of the tavern.

A question for Hillsbro was #7 on the corner of Hodgson & Thomas or was it the next block Headford/Young. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Johnr0836 from New Jersey.

Grannypat & Hillsbro

I am a new member and I also have a connection to Hodgson St. My great grandfather, John Whitaker ran The Vine Tavern during the 1880's and his daughter, my grandmother, was born in 1884 in #7 Hodgson St. which I believe was also the address of the tavern.

A question for Hillsbro was #7 on the corner of Hodgson & Thomas or was it the next block Headford/Young. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Johnr0836 from New Jersey.

Hello John, it was on the corner of Hodgson Street and Thomas Street. Have a look at this 1950s ordnance survey map.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-188-1220941303.jpg

Hi Johnr0836 - welcome to the Forum! In Sheffield, street numbering begins at whichever end of the street is nearer to the Cathedral. Facing away from the cathedral, odd numbers are on the left and even numbers on the right. This rule applies almost without exception and so it follows that, as Jim Hardie noted, No 7 was on the south side of Hodgson Street on the corner with Thomas Street - here is a scan from the 1881 directory. :)

... In Sheffield, street numbering begins at whichever end of the street is nearer to the Cathedral....
Well, I never knew that. You live and learn! :)

Mr. Hardie and Hillsbro

Thank you for the quick response. I do really appreciate the information. My grandmother never talked about her childhood. I'm trying to piece together her life from the information that my mother left me.

Regards,

JohnR0836 in New Jersey.

My relatives lived at 46 Hodgson St from the 1920s until the street was demolished. My

grandad was caretaker at St Silas school in the 1930s. Their name was Hall