Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi all I can remember the flower incident, I left not long after that. rohsgran refers to that area as "the hills" we called it "the rocks" Jean J

Hi all I can remember the flower incident, I left not long after that. rohsgran refers to that area as "the hills" we called it "the rocks" Jean J

Hi Jean,

It's good to get confirmation that I didn't imagine the flower incident after all these years :)

I left at Christmas 1958.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Peter, I left Easter 1958. Reading different peoples memories keeps the grey matter working. Jean J

Hi Peter, I left Easter 1958. Reading different peoples memories keeps the grey matter working. Jean J

Hi Jean J - I think you mentioned at some point that you knew the Yeatmans well Eric and Shirley just celebrated their Diamond Wedding Anniversary a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by fleetwood

Hi Fleetwood, I knew Eric & Shirley, Eric's mum & dad lived 3 doors down from us, I went to school with Eric's youngest sister Janet she is the same age as me.

Congratulations to them. Jean J

Hi Fleetwood, That's a great story! I think we sometimes neglect to mention the good memories we had from Life Boys & concentrate on time in BB. You will remember Dora Reynolds (Ian & Barrie's mum) & my mum Marjorie Moore from your time in Life Boys too.

I remember how well organised it was. When you went in each week Amy had put up a notice with what the theme for the night was & if I remember correctly a short quiz. Did you know Amy was the English North of England Organiser for The Life Boys?

Best wishes, John

Hi John. You're so right about Life Boys and BB. I remember even now the pride of having the Life Boy hat, jumper and socks! I also remember being in St Davids... contempories being the 3 Thiel brothers, Terry Macnamara, Gwynne Williams amongst others. Looked on as a forerunner to BB, but provides so many memories of early friendships...particularly a day out to the ancient city of York.

Hi Jean,my friend from school many moons ago lived in that house,her name was Mary Machin had a brother called David.I can vaguely recall the pathway, was there a corn field at the back.Ran up the rocky hill a few times going home and slipped down it a few times going to school.Hope your well love.x

I used to live next door to Mary and David in that house and shared the same yard.

I used to live next door to Mary and David in that house and shared the same yard.

Think Mary passed away a few years ago,was there only two houses in the yard?They were also related to George Froggatt that lived on Earl Marshall Rd.

What happened to Harry Whattam after slum clearance did council sort him a smallholding out ?

Think Mary passed away a few years ago,was there only two houses in the yard?They were also related to George Froggatt that lived on Earl Marshall Rd.

Yes,there were 2 houses in each yard.I can remember the Frogatt name but can't quite place it,was there a young child at that time with that name?

It just came to me now,they lived down near Top Street in that last yard on the left didn't they?

Edited by chalga

We all remember the police box that used to be situated just below Grimesthorpe School, I have mentioned this incident before, can anybody tell me if they kept a service revolver at that location for such emergences as I am going to outline, or at any of the other boxes for that matter? Reason I'm asking, I seem to recall a situation where a large dog got run over by a vehicle of some description, this happened on Grimesthorpe Hill on the right-hand side above the school. I don't think anybody thought of R.S.P.C.A. in those times and nobody had a phone to do too much about it anyway. This dog was in agony at the side of the road but soon after that the policeman on his beat showed up, he sized up the situation and went down to his box and brought back this service revolver where he proceeded to put the animal out of it's misery with a shot to the head. We all know that dogs seemed to roam free in days of old, with no thought too safety for the animals or the public, as I have said earlier in the post I'm thinking I brought this up on the Forum many moons ago, I have a reasonably good memory but just a kid when all this went down, I don't think I dreamt it. fleetwood

Hi Brian,

It's the Lyceum Hotel on Pond Hill. Pond Street runs across the pic in front of the light coloured building and Flat Street runs between that building and the dark coloured building behind it, left of pic. The Lyceum Theatre is a few hundred yards further back so presumably there is some connection with the names due to their close proximity.

In 1977 I worked in the Council Housing Dept. buildings which were opposite the pub. Never went in that pub though but occasionaly went in the Surrey on Surrey Street when I moved into the newly opened 'Egg Box' which was the New Town Hall at that time.

Don't think I'll know many Sheffield pubs though as from age 17 most of my time was spent either at work or on my Lambretta with my girlfriend who lived in Bramley, Rotherham. She became my first wife in 1965, the year before the pic, and we set up home in Bramley. Therefore I left Sheffield in 1965, but still worked there on and off. Have also lived in Worksop and have lived on the edge of a small village in North Yorkshire about half a mile from the County Durham border for the last 4 years. I regularly visit family and friends in Sheffield and look around Grimesthorpe and the old places.

Peter.[/

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 17:06 ----------

Very interesting looking at older maps and http://www.wincobankhill.btck.co.uk/TheRomanRidge as these steps could be on the line of the route which apparently ran from Sheffield to Mexborough. On the Ordnance Survey map of 1906 the quarry is described as "Old Quarry" so they must have been worked much earlier. I have also seen a reference to the Ridge being identifiable in parts of Grimesthorpe before the 1930's.

Maybe I have not picked up on this in earlier Grimesthorpe threads, if so my apologies. Obviously someone cares sufficiently to provide the TLC PeterR refers to and shows in his pictures. Thanks!

------------------------

Hi Voldy, Peter R, In middle of your picture a small building, would that

be Sheffield Forgemasters on Hawke St.

I do like the picture also. Brian