Anyone here from Attercliffe? (Part 2)

terry street, carbrook school,

head teacher - miss carr,

anyone remember??????

My family lived on Chippingham street, our house stood where the tram stops now. Dad and grandad were both Joe Poole, all the men worked as roll turners at Brown Baileys. I remember my sister lifting me up to see the barges go down the cut. She remembers getting chips from Mrs Aynsleys (best chips in the world). Our next door neighbours were the Roses.

Dad was a Unitarian and went to either Upper Chapel or on the common.

We left in 1963 to follow my uncle Albert to Australia.

I lived at Attercliffe in 1972 to 1989

There were still houses there in 1989? Where did you live?

to Mickr:

is this Mick Redfern from Beall St ?

I knew Beryl Newhall very well. She and Doug Davidson split when she found out he was gay. They were very young around 20 I believe. He then went on to manage various pubs with his partner, incl. the Britannia.

Where are you ? I am in the US.

Best regards,

Glenn E. Pickard

hi I wonder if anyone rembers me I used to live in Ripon Street. my sister is Linda Gallagher. I now live in Leeds still tune pianos and play top level chess for Leeds and Sheffield team Darnal and Handsworth. I remember Jack Stevenson and Ann Whiteley they were great to me and it's just as it was yesterday. I am John Gallagher and I still use my guidedog called Zarah

I've just seen a Retro article on the Star website about Attercliffe. Does anyone remember a Bank of Pakistan on Attercliffe Road probably located opposite where the Nat West is now?

two things:

both my mother and grandmother had pianos and probably used your service John . Both houses were on Britnall St next to Huntmans Gardens School. Mrs. Hogg and Mrs Beardwell.

No I don't remember a Bank of Pakistan where Nat West is. A Christian church was converted to a mosque years ago, Pakistani I believe, at Bodmin St and Attercliffe Rd

---------- Post added 22-08-2016 at 16:31 ----------

Hey Linda: you have started a great thread here with so many people involved.

As I recall the skating rink and the dance were one and the same relative to the building, right next to the Adelphi ? They were n't on Zion lane, but they were very close and actually on the small road that ran past the Peace Gdns. to 'Cliffe.

Dougie D. more than went out with Beryl, he married her. Don't believe it lasted very long, maybe a couple of years. I knew her before they married, she was from Brightside, very nice person. Don't know where she is now. She was good friends with Sandra Stevens, Jane McCormick, Wendy Tapscott all Brightside girls, on the other side of the River Don

Talking about Brightside girls, does anyone know the whereabouts of Kathleen and Christine Hickey ? I went to school with both of them in the 1960s (Hartley Brook) and heard that Kathleen had been ill.

Is it true that Dusty Springfield had relatives in Attercliffe and used to come and visit them in the early 60's with her brother?

I remember the Habib Bank of Pakistan. I think that is the one to which you are referring.

If I remember right it was in a row of shops roughly where the Institute of Sport now stands. On the corner of Coleridge Rd. and Attercliffe Rd. heading towards town there was The Salutation Pub then The Pavilion Cinema and then one or two shops and then the Habib Bank. This would have placed it roughly opposite Hill Top Cemetery so not too far from the Nat West.

Seem to remember it having a plain white front that looked nothing like a bank, more like a shop but with small windows.

Chris

Edited by Beamish

... On the corner of Coleridge Rd. and Attercliffe Rd. heading towards town there was The Salutation Pub then The Pavilion Cinema and then one or two shops and then the Habib Bank... Chris
That's correct; the "United Bank Ltd (Incorporated in Pakistan)" was also nearby - here's a scan from the 1974 Kelly's Directory.

I worked at Mathews furnishers in the 1970s what a great shopping centre very busy back then.

I worked at Mathews furnishers in the 1970s what a great shopping centre very busy back then.

Mathews was at the bottom of our street Brinsworth Street that is Mathews was a family business ,when this shop closed it moved to Darnall then shut down after a few years all together