Advice on moving in near the Wicker area

I am a student and have been living in Sheffield for over a year.

I am soon to move in to my new place near the Wicker area.

Recently I've heard some people voicing their concerns to me about living there, safety-wise.

Is it true though? How safe it is in that area? What should and shouldn't I do, to feel and remain safe?

Recently I've heard some people voicing their concerns to me about living there, safety-wise.

Is it true though? How safe it is in that area? What should and shouldn't I do, to feel and remain safe?

What should you do to remain safe? Move somewhere else.

What shouldn't you do? Move there.

It's awful. Truly awful.

Before considering any area I always check the Police UK crime map which details how many crimes have occurred in an area and what type of crimes are being committed.

Wicker itself (the street) has quite a large number of crimes, although it is a busy street with shops, etc. However, the crimes reported tend to be more serious crimes against the person, such as robbery, sexual assault and violence.

If you have to live there, you need to be aware of your own safety. Don't use a mobile in the street and avoid going out on your own after dark.

It's not a student area at all, convenient for neither university...

The crime statistics are vastly misrepresented by people here, and advice like "don't go out after dark" is total nonsense, but I can't see why a student would want to live there.

They're not misrepresented at all. It's a horrific area with a very high level of crime. I had so many criminal clients arrested for assaults, rapes and various other attacks around the Wicker and Spital Hill. Why do you think Howells had an office on Spital Hill? It was there because there were so many clients!

The crime rate is just as high on West Street, which has a lot of student apartments on it and nearby, and where students regularly go out at night and also use their mobile phones.

The crime rate is just as high on West Street, which has a lot of student apartments on it and nearby, and where students regularly go out at night and also use their mobile phones.

Different types of crime. West St is drunken assaults. Wicker is robberies and sexual offences. And lots of stabbing.

Sadly the crime maps don't differentiate in Sheffield central.

If you're brave enough to go out there alone at night, good for you. I wouldn't.

Different types of crime. West St is drunken assaults. Wicker is robberies and sexual offences. And lots of stabbing.

Sadly the crime maps don't differentiate in Sheffield central.

If you're brave enough to go out there alone at night, good for you. I wouldn't.

Exactly this. Comparing West Street with Wicker is ridiculous.

You would be a fool to move there.:rant:

i wouldnt live there lots of drug abuse /dealing etc which brings its own problems, theres better areas near to the unis to live in

They're not misrepresented at all. It's a horrific area with a very high level of crime. I had so many criminal clients arrested for assaults, rapes and various other attacks around the Wicker and Spital Hill. Why do you think Howells had an office on Spital Hill? It was there because there were so many clients!

I used Howells in 1992 I think when they first opened up there, I was from Page Hall and used them due to the good reputation of Danny Simpson who in my opinion is a very good solicitor ....

I used Howells in 1992 I think when they first opened up there, I was from Page Hall and used them due to the good reputation of Danny Simpson who in my opinion is a very good solicitor ....

Danny's a great guy. Not seen him in a couple of years, but a great guy and a fantastic lawyer.

That said, the primary reason they moved there was still the number of clients from that area.