Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Would it be a good idea to fit a magnetite trap in a central heating system powered by a conventional boiler?

Hi all,

I turned my boiler on the other day and it sounded like it started up but then cut off. I've tried a few self fix things. Anyone have availability in the next few weeks to pop round? How much would you charge?

Thanks all

Does anyone know how much it would cost in labour to have a combi boiler taken out and replaced with a new one

The warranty position needs to be understood as to how you buy it though, ie, you could buy one yourself and have it fitted by a qualified fitter, or have a firm supply and fit it. I believe that some boilers have a 10 yr warranty provided it's serviced correctly. Someone on here could expand on this I'm sure.

A rough guess £1,500

is that for just replacing a combi boiler to existing pipes labour only?

Hi if its labour only we could come way under the £1500, each job can vary alot for multiple reasons so a quote/visit would always be recommended we always visit before committing to a price.

Cheers Jon at JB Heating.

Hi all,

My mother had a boiler service and the boiler passed absolutely fine, however it needed a 3-way central heating valve replacement as the valve was sticking, making a buzzing noise and the heating is not coming on. The hot water is fine.

We were quoted £150 and told it was a four hour job. This was for one of the cheaper valves, because she is now selling the house.

Unfortunately the chap who did the boiler and quoted for us has disappeared off the face of the earth (and I paid him upfront, so if he doesn't find it in him soon to respond to me I will be naming and shaming on this forum, where we found him), so we are looking for somebody else who can come this week.

I'll need to see some good positive feedback/credentials etc as sadly the above experience has left us a little sensitive to potentially being ripped off.

thanks

Hi all,

My mother had a boiler service and the boiler passed absolutely fine, however it needed a 3-way central heating valve replacement as the valve was sticking, making a buzzing noise and the heating is not coming on. The hot water is fine.

We were quoted £150 and told it was a four hour job. This was for one of the cheaper valves, because she is now selling the house.

Unfortunately the chap who did the boiler and quoted for us has disappeared off the face of the earth (and I paid him upfront, so if he doesn't find it in him soon to respond to me I will be naming and shaming on this forum, where we found him), so we are looking for somebody else who can come this week.

I'll need to see some good positive feedback/credentials etc as sadly the above experience has left us a little sensitive to potentially being ripped off.

thanks

Hi price sounds around the mark time of 4hours seems alot would have thought more like 1hour if you don't get sorted let me know I could fit you in near the end of the week cheers Jon at JB Heating.

Just to follow up, we used JBradleybz AKA Jon Bradley on here, and he was great. He was punctual, got the job done quickly, charged less than a previous quote and did a very thorough job. Will be using him again.

Hi price sounds around the mark time of 4hours seems alot would have thought more like 1hour if you don't get sorted let me know I could fit you in near the end of the week cheers Jon at JB Heating.

Heating working but losing pressure on boiler so need to top system up periodically. No leaks from radiators, no evidence of damp patches. Advised there must be a leak under floor. If this is right why not losing water out of radiators?