Advice Please on where to live :)

I'd give the opposite advice, not to live in a bad area, but commuting time is the biggest killer of your life around. Being self employed means that I've worked for 6 months to a year at a time in Leeds or Nottingham or Derby, and the quality of my life suffers terribly when I have a 1 hr commute each way compared to when I commute twenty minutes by bike.

And the idea that the south of the city is somehow better is clearly nonsense, the divide is east/west, not north/south.

I agree that commuting can be a pain. But it's what you're used to. I've commuted for over 2 years to Switzerland and back every week to work, every Monday and Friday. it's a 2 hour flight, but when you add on the travel to and from the airport it's a whole day each week gone from commuting.

I agree that the South West is the best part of the city btw - and not the South per se. I was using the description the OP gave. There are some lovely areas in the North too, particularly around Bradfield, but these are much more remote than the "village" type communities in the south west.

Hi there,

Ive lived in Sheffield as a student for many years (city centre and crookes) and looking to move back to Sheffield again! However, my partner will be commuting to Barnsley and I am unfamiliar with the different areas in the North Sheffield. Does anyone have any advice/which areas are nice to live in? I have seen online a lot of people have said South of Sheffield is nice, but that will be a much longer commute to Barnsley.

Many thanks :)

Jen

What about you? Are you going to be working and if so where?

Also, you need to put some kind of budget to get more accurate responses. (I don't mean exactly how much money you have of course!); but if you have a rough budget figure it would help.

As said earlier there are houses in Barnsley, and though people probably mock the place, there are some very nice areas, and you're likely to get far more for your money up there too.

I agree that commuting can be a pain. But it's what you're used to. I've commuted for over 2 years to Switzerland and back every week to work, every Monday and Friday. it's a 2 hour flight, but when you add on the travel to and from the airport it's a whole day each week gone from commuting.

I agree that the South West is the best part of the city btw - and not the South per se. I was using the description the OP gave. There are some lovely areas in the North too, particularly around Bradfield, but these are much more remote than the "village" type communities in the south west.

I commuted to Germany on a Mon - Thu pattern for 6 months. You might as well just give your life to your employer. It's no way to live.

You can't agree with something I didn't say. I said that there is an east/west divide, not a north/south divide.

Bradfield is 'remote'? It's been a long time since you were in Sheffield hasn't it? Bradfield is about 10 minutes from the park and ride, 25 mins from the university. Dore is physically closer, but I know which way will have the worse traffic. And Oughtibridge is about identical to Dore in terms of distance.

---------- Post added 09-06-2017 at 07:41 ----------

As said earlier there are houses in Barnsley, and though people probably mock the place, there are some very nice areas, and you're likely to get far more for your money up there too.

Very true, I have friends on the outskirts and they have a huge house for considerably less than you'd pay in Sheffield, Dodworth Rd I think, it seems nice enough when we've been over.

You can't agree with something I didn't say. I said that there is an east/west divide, not a north/south divide.

Bradfield is 'remote'? It's been a long time since you were in Sheffield hasn't it? Bradfield is about 10 minutes from the park and ride, 25 mins from the university. Dore is physically closer, but I know which way will have the worse traffic. And Oughtibridge is about identical to Dore in terms of distance.

Bradfield is very nice - but without a car it is very remote. I used to live in Oughtibridge and it's lovely, as sleepy backwaters go. If you run out of milk after six though, what do you do? There's no shops open, no cafe's to go to during the day and nowhere near the choice of places to eat out that Dore has.

Obviously you wouldn't live someone relatively remote if you don't own a car, thats just stupid.

Bradfield is very nice - but without a car it is very remote. I used to live in Oughtibridge and it's lovely, as sleepy backwaters go. If you run out of milk after six though, what do you do? There's no shops open, no cafe's to go to during the day and nowhere near the choice of places to eat out that Dore has.

I wouldn't recommend it for someone without a car, no.

For someone with a car, after 1800, 5 minutes drive to Morrisons or Sainsburys.

I live in Wharncliffe Side, and its brilliant. Live in a nice quiet family community. Oughtibridge is also good. We are only ten mins from Hillsborough or twenty mins ish to Barnsley

Greenhead is still open and is good. The Commercial is one of my favourite pubs as I drink ale, whisky and gin and it has excellent taste in all 3. Restaurants are a weak spot - the Staindrop tries but kills dishes by clumsy generous finishing (drowning rice in soy etc). No Costa but it has some nice cafes like Chapuccino - have a look on Tripadvisor.

I drive and train to Barnsley regularly from Chap and it's easy if you can avoid the queues around J36 at peak times. The queue of cars trying to get on the A616 to Manchester etc over a hideously badly designed roundabout really slows it down.

---------- Post added 08-06-2017 at 16:29 ----------

You almost manage to make that sound like a criticsm.

I just mean Costa have done everywhere else but overlooked Chapeltown. One of the big coffee chains arriving used to be the sign that an area was on the up.

I read a while ago that Greenheads was closing as the owners were retiring. Maybe they changed their minds.

Chapeltown has a bit of a buzz about it and real potential but could be so much better with an improved evening entertainment offer. Great commuter location though and some very nice parts which are still good value compared to 'Sheffield proper'. I have no problems commuting at rush hour using J35 M1