New B&M and Hillsborough shopping

popped in this morning. really needs to fix the till area, only 4 small tills and the whole place is a bit of a shambles at the moment. Hopefully it's just teething problems that can be straightened out quite quickly.

it's a bit like asda mixed with poundland.

Called in yesterday on way home from work.

Negatives for me were it is seems too big - I prefer the smaller shops such as Home Bargains and Wilkinsons which both sell a similar range of goods as B & M.

It'll be interesting to see if all three can prosper at the same time in Hillsborough.

Also, as previous post states, the lack of tills could be a problem when it gets busy.

Positives were that i lost the kids for ten minutes and covered a couple of kilometres trying to find them, thus helping the exercise regime.

I agree with your comments about Hillsborough having a 'mixed bunch' of people. That's part of the reason why I like living here. And I currently buy a few bits in Home Bargains, so I'll be popping into B&M to see what's on offer. It would be lovely if we had a better mix of shops, but I understand why the retailers won't invest.

However, I wonder if sometimes they get it wrong. One of the managers in the Tesco Express on Dykes Hall Rd was telling me that they have exceeded expectations there. The shop is stocked to reflect the local demographic but he said they get regular requests for more expensive items. Although there is only parking for half a dozen cars, it is constantly busy. And not just with people popping in for the odd bag of sugar!

It makes me wonder if a small M&S food shop would attract a lot of shoppers. Probably not for the weekly shop, but for the 'nice' bits. I think the empty Winkworth's building would be an ideal spot. Right at a tram stop; near various bus stops; short term parking nearby, and it would catch passing pedestrian trade.

Demographic mark-up of our neighbours and us (random):

NHS accountant/University support staff, two young children

It consultant/Public sector HR manager, two young children

Dentist/Researcher

NHS Doctor/NHS Doctor

Widow with healthy double pension

Student house with 4 students

That is all within three houses distance from our own and we live near Hillsborough park, not exactly villa-land.

Not to mention the numerous University lecturers I know live in the area with their young families in rented two-up/two-downs.

Basically retailers are completely asleep on this area, they see a low average income for the whole postcode and decide to ignore it, but Hillsborough is full of young professionals due to the excellent tram links. Add to that the enormous catchment area it has anyway and it is a recipe for success.

Just look at the ASDA in Shiregreen (or wherever it is) it is completely packed to the roof at weekends and the Morrisons is still busy! Sainsbury's need to hurry with their development at Fletchers cause they are missing trade and I am sure M&S are missing out on huge opportunities as well, I don't know who is taking that corner plot by B&Q but it would be perfect for an M&S Food, I bet it would do better than the Ecclesall one.

that corner plot by B&Q is going to be an Iceland I believe

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Dentist/Researcher

NHS Doctor/NHS Doctor

That is all within three houses distance from our own and we live near Hillsborough park, not exactly villa-land.

Not to mention the numerous University lecturers I know live in the area with their young families in rented two-up/two-downs.

Basically retailers are completely asleep on this area, they see a low average income for the whole postcode and decide to ignore it, but Hillsborough is full of young professionals due to the excellent tram links. Add to that the enormous catchment area it has anyway and it is a recipe for success.

Just look at the ASDA in Shiregreen (or wherever it is) it is completely packed to the roof at weekends and the Morrisons is still busy! Sainsbury's need to hurry with their development at Fletchers cause they are missing trade and I am sure M&S are missing out on huge opportunities as well, I don't know who is taking that corner plot by B&Q but it would be perfect for an M&S Food, I bet it would do better than the Ecclesall one.

This x 10000

The demand is there. Just like there is for a decent real ale pub not bloody Legends, Shaky etc etc I can't believe people are still enticed in by the offer of karaoke

GREAT! A frozen food store?! OMG just what the area is missing!

Edited by R.Majewski

That is just pathetic isn't it? What a waste of space...

Not open minded enough to go in and see what they sell before coming on here and complaining.

As an earlier post said, who doesn't love a bargain? I know I do. I regularly pick up cupboard and other household items from Homebargains, and I've shopped at other branches of B&M in the past, so I'm fully aware of what they sell. My point was that Hillsborough already has these kind of offerings, so what's wrong with a bit of diversity?

Open minded enough for you?

What corner plot do you mean?

What corner plot do you mean?

I'm assuming it's the corner of Bradfield road and Penistone road?

really needs to fix the till area, only 4 small tills and the whole place is a bit of a shambles at the moment.

there is another 4 tills towards the back of the shop (past the post office), not sure why, possibly for people leaving through to the carpark or something, but there are 8 tills altogether.

Dentist/Researcher

NHS Doctor/NHS Doctor

Totally agree, pretty similar residents on our road as well .

Went in today as I needed the post office, was absolutely red hot with no air circulating at all, had to leave due to this before having a look around unfortunately.

Sad that the Post office staff are being made redundant because B&M don't want them in there.