New B&M and Hillsborough shopping

People with no money obviously!

:hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 04-07-2013 at 22:10 ----------

why has this become about stannington?????

Because the people of Stannington think they are big time Charlies.

I think it will do well! i will certainly have a wander in there over the weekend.

Have to say tho i have almost spat my coffee at the screen at the amount of people on this thread who think blooming Stannington is posh and upmarket!! :D

I know many people who frequent the area of Hillsborough. None of whom will be visiting B&M. I'm sure if you asked people in and around Hillsborough the general consensus would be that they'd prefer the convenience of being able to nip out for a pint of milk or bag of sugar at a local supermarket rather than yet another bargain basement shop selling 100 AA batteries for 99p.

I called in this evening you can get both sugar and milk along with a decent range of groceries and 100 AA batteries all for less than a fiver

Edited by scargill

I called in this evening you can get both sugar and milk along with a decent range of groceries and 100 AA batteries all for less than a fiver

I bet you could run those batteries flat quicker than you could drink that milk.

I'm very open minded and know a wide variety of people from varied backgrounds. Thank you for the kind suggestion though.

You miss my point of having the convenience of a supermarket on your doorstep to walk to for that missing cake ingredient or birthday card you'd forgotten about. The convoluted and inconvenient nature of the roads in Hillsborough mean taking a lengthy detour to get to Morrison's if you happen to live on the wrong side of Hillsborough.

In case you're interested, I hear B&M have a Buy 1 Get 1 Free offer on keyboard exclamation mark keys...

Not open minded enough to go in and see what they sell before coming on here and complaining.

No, I'd have preferred the Co-op not to have shut! Found it quite useful myself to pop in after work.

Wwwhhhhaaatttt!.... Are you being serious?! You must have been the only person there!

The butchers round the corner do that.

Waitrose meatballs were one of the ones found containing horse meat don't forget!

Just because it's in a posh packet doesn't mean it didn't slop out of the same machine in the same factory as the crap from Tesco.

too true....rember that

:hihi:

do you not think that the 'decent' retailers dont come and do surveys and market research when a opening becomes available? do you not wonder why the 'decent' retailers do so well and have millions or pounds turnovers? its because they wont invest in an area where there is no demand.... this tells me that the area has more of a 'bargain' base to it... I used to shop in the co-op, thought it was great, but over the last 10 years ive worked in hillsborough i have notice a decline in custom, why do you think they didnt want to renew their contract? there isnt the demand!

I agree with your comments about Hillsborough having a 'mixed bunch' of people. That's part of the reason why I like living here. And I currently buy a few bits in Home Bargains, so I'll be popping into B&M to see what's on offer. It would be lovely if we had a better mix of shops, but I understand why the retailers won't invest.

However, I wonder if sometimes they get it wrong. One of the managers in the Tesco Express on Dykes Hall Rd was telling me that they have exceeded expectations there. The shop is stocked to reflect the local demographic but he said they get regular requests for more expensive items. Although there is only parking for half a dozen cars, it is constantly busy. And not just with people popping in for the odd bag of sugar!

It makes me wonder if a small M&S food shop would attract a lot of shoppers. Probably not for the weekly shop, but for the 'nice' bits. I think the empty Winkworth's building would be an ideal spot. Right at a tram stop; near various bus stops; short term parking nearby, and it would catch passing pedestrian trade.

Brings the area down - i'm boycotting it. Should have been a mini sainsburys/m&s

:(

Hillsborough has so much going for it - lovely park, transport links cannot be beaten, 10 minutes from the Peak District, really nice quiet roads. Just needs a decent secondary school, a real ale pub and to not keep lets crap stores like this open.

File next to Heron frozen foods :/

Who exactly is supposed to be able to stop "crap stores" opening. They have as much right as M&S to hire retail space and open a store.

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 07:33 ----------

do you know hillsborough at all???? it's surrounded by quite run down council estates with people living off of hardly anything!

I'm not sure that's really true. It's pretty nice as you head out of Hillsborough up towards Stannington, or up Loxley Rd, or into Wadsley or further in the direction of Oughtibridge. And going the other way, it's only a couple of miles through Walkley to Crookes, neither of which are a) council estates or b) deprived.

Sure, there are less affluent areas as well, some of Hillsborough itself, some of Wisewood, but it's hardly the only kind of housing in the area.

Who exactly is supposed to be able to stop "crap stores" opening. They have as much right as M&S to hire retail space and open a store.

---------- Post added 05-07-2013 at 07:33 ----------

I'm not sure that's really true. It's pretty nice as you head out of Hillsborough up towards Stannington, or up Loxley Rd, or into Wadsley or further in the direction of Oughtibridge. And going the other way, it's only a couple of miles through Walkley to Crookes, neither of which are a) council estates or b) deprived.

Sure, there are less affluent areas as well, some of Hillsborough itself, some of Wisewood, but it's hardly the only kind of housing in the area.

I have lived in this area all my life, i love it here and im not saying it's a comlpete mess.... it just still needs a lot of work doing to some of the area's, i hate to see the boarded up houses and don't get me started on Winn Gardens! those flats are so depressing....

do they sell milk?

Yes they do, ive not been in yet but i saw a sign in the window yesterday.