HS2 train stop in Sheffield

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Topic Closed

01-07-2011, 15:29   #61
NightFlight

Total Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Shaw View Post
OK; so London-Birmingham-Sheffield-Manchester-Leeds.
Makes much more sense to go london-brum-manchester-sheffield-leeds surely?

01-07-2011, 15:34   #62
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Total Posts: 13,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post
Makes much more sense to go london-brum-manchester-sheffield-leeds surely?
OK- I'll allow that (via Woodhead, not Hope Valley). Deal? Get building.

01-07-2011, 15:34   #63
dosxuk

Total Posts: 7,720
Erm... Meadowhall Railway Station?

When copying a link from Google maps, you need to do it using the little "Link" button on the right hand side above the map, not by copying from the address bar - that just has the link to the place you searched for originally, not where you moved the map too.

01-07-2011, 15:37   #64
Mr Sheffield

Total Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosxuk View Post
Erm... Meadowhall Railway Station?

When copying a link from Google maps, you need to do it using the little "Link" button on the right hand side above the map, not by copying from the address bar - that just has the link to the place you searched for originally, not where you moved the map too.
Sorry mate here it is.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Mead...83026&t=h&z=16

It's a massive site, easily big enough for the high speed trains and it goes straight on to Leeds, but doesn't have the transport links.

01-07-2011, 15:41   #65
dosxuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Shaw View Post
OK- I'll allow that (via Woodhead, not Hope Valley). Deal? Get building.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
210155476846284269415.0004a702e9b4e1b86e8c1

I really don't see any sort of loop like that ever getting past a CBR...

01-07-2011, 15:42   #66
NightFlight

Total Posts: 603
Too small, zoom out til the scale thing shows "500m", that's slightly longer than the train length but the station will need to be roughly that long.

Now try and find a suitable location.

01-07-2011, 15:44   #67
Mr Sheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFlight View Post
Too small, zoom out til the scale thing shows "500m", that's slightly longer than the train length but the station will need to be roughly that long.

Now try and find a suitable location.
That site is easily big enough for high speed trains, plus there is extra land next door to it too that could be used for the station, which is industrial at the moment.

Last edited by Mr Sheffield; 01-07-2011 at 15:52.

01-07-2011, 15:51   #68
dosxuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sheffield View Post
That site is easily big enough for high speed trains.
I don't understand why you think it's a better site than Tinsley, which already has the adjacent motorway, railway land, suitable routes north and south and for a small amount of money, a link to the tram network.

01-07-2011, 15:54   #69
Mr Sheffield

Quote:
I don't understand why you think it's a better site than Tinsley, which already has the adjacent motorway, railway land, suitable routes north and south and for a small amount of money, a link to the tram network.
Because it goes straight on to Leeds, no turns. Give me a link to your site.

01-07-2011, 15:58   #70
dosxuk

Quote:
Because it goes straight on to Leeds, no turns. Give me a link to your site.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...21887&t=h&z=16

Note that the big white building is a warehouse built for rail <> road freight connections, so not going to be an issue knocking it down (even if it was doing well, which I understand it isn't, at all).

You second location has no suitable route to the south.

01-07-2011, 16:06   #71
Mr Sheffield

Quote:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...21887&t=h&z=16

Note that the big white building is a warehouse built for rail <> road freight connections, so not going to be an issue knocking it down (even if it was doing well, which I understand it isn't, at all).

You second location has no suitable route to the south.
The route that line is taking is crazy, is going up hill for a start and it's going the long way round compared to mine. My location has got a route south, just reconfigure the line a little bit.

01-07-2011, 16:14   #72
dosxuk

Quote:
The route that line is taking is crazy, is going up hill for a start and it's going the long way round compared to mine.
D'oh! Ignore the lines on that map. Just got caught out by the same problem as you with map links! The lines on that map are very rough and only supposed to be looked at from a great distance as an overview of options, not as a detailed route.

This is a more accurate of the route it could take :- http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...13868,0.027423

Quote:
My location has got a route south, just reconfigure the line a little bit.
Where to? It would be hideously expensive to take it through the city centre, and you can't just take over the old lines - they'll still be full with non high speed trains.

01-07-2011, 16:30   #73
Mr Sheffield

Quote:
D'oh! Ignore the lines on that map. Just got caught out by the same problem as you with map links! The lines on that map are very rough and only supposed to be looked at from a great distance as an overview of options, not as a detailed route.

This is a more accurate of the route it could take :- http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...13868,0.027423

Where to? It would be hideously expensive to take it through the city centre, and you can't just take over the old lines - they'll still be full with non high speed trains.
Just upgrade the track, and re-route in the mean time. The line wouldn't be full of non high speed trains because some of the high speed trains would take the place of the non high speed trains. Your route is better but that too would be massively expensive and it's cutting through a lot of countryside, but as I said i'm no expert and I prob don't know what i'm talking about.

01-07-2011, 16:36   #74
InSheffield

Total Posts: 166
Quote:
That's running through the Outokumpu works - aren't they still in use? Is it really a good idea to demolish them?

By Mosborough Parkway there's a much better site, which would avoid any need to run through the Meadowhall area.

01-07-2011, 16:42   #75
Mr Sheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSheffield View Post

By Mosborough Parkway there's a much better site, which would avoid any need to run through the Meadowhall area.
The transport links are not gonna be good to that site are they and plus I believe that the high speed station should be in Sheffield, it is the hub of South Yorks after all.

01-07-2011, 16:48   #76
InSheffield

Total Posts: 166
Quote:
The transport links are not gonna be good to that site are they
It's by a primary road, close to the M1, and has an existing train line direct to the city centre. It'd also be easy to extend the tram over from Crystal Peaks. The transport links are excellent!

Quote:
and plus I believe that the high speed station should be in Sheffield, it is the hub of South Yorks after all.
People would be using the station from across the city and other nearby towns, so, while access to central Sheffield is important, being located in the city itself isn't so vital. Besides, the site is on the border of Sheffield.

01-07-2011, 16:52   #77
dosxuk

Quote:
Just upgrade the track, and re-route in the mean time. The line wouldn't be full of non high speed trains because some of the high speed trains would take the place of the non high speed trains.
They will, because the only journey that HS2 will replace is Sheffield - London. The other trains which follow some of the route, such as Sheffield - Birmingham or Sheffield - Leeds will still need to run in order to serve places off the route of HS2 (in the case of the latter, Barnsley, Rotherham, Wakefield, Doncaster, Huddersfield, as well as all the small stations).

The whole idea of HS2 is to build new and supplement existing capacity, not to replace it. One of the main reasons we have such a slow system is because we still follow the routes which the Victorians built. Look at the Sheffield - London line - it twists left and right all the way in order to go through every moderately sized settlement, half of which don't even have stations now...

01-07-2011, 16:55   #78
dosxuk

Quote:
That's running through the Outokumpu works - aren't they still in use? Is it really a good idea to demolish them?
I think a route through there could be found, and who knows if in 30+ years time when we actually get round to building this, if Outokumpu will still be there!

Quote:
It looks suitable to me too.

01-07-2011, 19:03   #79
six45ive

Total Posts: 2,914
Quote:
Why would the Nunnery Square site not be serving South Yorks? it would be easily accessible with the transport links that already in place.
Because why should people from Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley and Chesterfield have to travel nearly all the way into the city centre adding to the traffic problems to access this service when they can access it virtually straight from the M1 in an area (Europa Link Road) which has relatively light traffic in comparrison.
_______
Campaign against archaic religious laws in the UK; http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/
Understanding atheism http://www.atheist-experience.com/
My Panoramio pictures of Shiny Sheffield on Google Earth.http://www.panoramio.com/user/1027207

02-07-2011, 06:24   #80
craigmason

Total Posts: 4,184
Would it not be possible to upgrade the current midland mainline so the hs2 could use that and stop in the main sheffield station?

Topic Closed