Heald family, Havelock Square info

A Heald family used to own Grays fishing tackle shop on Infirmary rd opposite the Kelvin in the 60s.

used to be a foreman at TC Harrisons, London road in the 70s called Frank Heald when I was there, think he lived somewhere near Wybourn

Hi steve heald - welcome to the Forum!

More details of what you are looking for might help, but in case you don't have information from directories etc. the 1925 directory (compiled in 1924) shows "Herbert Heald, cutlery manufacturer" at 79 Havelock Square. He had evidently left that address by 1930. The alphabetical section of the 1925 directory shows Herbert Heald, cutlery manufacturer at that address but adds "C.H. & Son". This is evidently Charles Heald & Son, table knife manufacturers of Climax Works, West Hill.Lane. Charles Heald's address is given as 8 Reed Street as of 1924; he turns up in the 1901 census at 104 Hadfield Street.

Went out with a Rona Heald who was on Liberty drive Stannington latter hslf of the 60's

many thanks - I believe Charles Heald was my grandfather - thank you for taking the time to reply

Hi Steve.

Im looking into my dads side of the family and the Charles Heald & Son cutlery firm was my dads granddads firm. any information about this would be great. how long it was open, why it shut. who worked there apart from my great granddad and his son.

Thanks.

Hi Sharon

My dad was the son of Hubert Heald - his name was Charles Derek Heald born 1926 to 2013. He had a brother call Hayden Heald. They were both born in Havelock Square (the house is still there). They then moved to Holmesfield around 1930. Hubert and my grandmother actually divorced in the 1930's and Hubert remarried but died in the mid 1950's so I never met him. My uncle Hayden took over the business "Crusade Cutlery" which closed in the 1950's - I have some cutlery but not much else. I dont think my uncle was a great business man!! I grew up in Holmesfield but have lived down south. Spookily, both my kids have been to Hallam Uni and my son lived in a flat about 250 yards from Havelock Square .... full circle (PS - if you are thinking of looking at Havelock Square take care - its no longer up market). Maybe we are related - what is your dads name? Regards Steve Heald

Hi Sharon

My dad was the son of Hubert Heald - his name was Charles Derek Heald born 1926 to 2013. He had a brother call Hayden Heald. They were both born in Havelock Square (the house is still there). They then moved to Holmesfield around 1930. Hubert and my grandmother actually divorced in the 1930's and Hubert remarried but died in the mid 1950's so I never met him. My uncle Hayden took over the business "Crusade Cutlery" which closed in the 1950's - I have some cutlery but not much else. I dont think my uncle was a great business man!! I grew up in Holmesfield but have lived down south. Spookily, both my kids have been to Hallam Uni and my son lived in a flat about 250 yards from Havelock Square .... full circle (PS - if you are thinking of looking at Havelock Square take care - its no longer up market). Maybe we are related - what is your dads name? Regards Steve Heald

'' no longer up market" there is a red light in there somewhere ..lol.

'' no longer up market" there is a red light in there somewhere ..lol.

hI,

My dad is Ronald Heald, son of Frank Heald (d.o.b 1910), who was the son of Charles Heald (1863), who I believe had the business Charles Heald & Son (Table Knife Manufacturers), I know that his son Herbert (dob 1895) took over, this may not be Herbert this may be your dad Hubert geneology sites are always mis-spelling. My dad can vaguely remember going with his dad to see Charles (his granddad working, he seems to remember it was at the side of the wicker up some stairs). Is this the same as your Charles Heald. I would love to hear back. Thanks Sharon

Hello Sharon

Sorry i didnt spot your reply until now. I think Frank Heald may have been Huberts (my grandard and the chap with the cutlery business) brother. I recall many years ago (say the late1970s) a chap cycling up to our house in Homesfieldand my dad saying its my uncle Frank ! I wonder if it was your grandad Frank?

I reckon that Ronald and my late father Charles Derek were cousins perhaps. Hubert died in1949 after divorcing my Grandma in the 1930s so i guess we missed out on that side of the family.

Hope to hear back.. kind regards Steve Heald

hI,

My dad is Ronald Heald, son of Frank Heald (d.o.b 1910), who was the son of Charles Heald (1863), who I believe had the business Charles Heald & Son (Table Knife Manufacturers), I know that his son Herbert (dob 1895) took over, this may not be Herbert this may be your dad Hubert geneology sites are always mis-spelling. My dad can vaguely remember going with his dad to see Charles (his granddad working, he seems to remember it was at the side of the wicker up some stairs). Is this the same as your Charles Heald. I would love to hear back. Thanks Sharon

I was at Greystones Sec Mod in the late 50's with a girl called Marylyn Heald, who I guess would lived somewhere around Pearl Street, or that area, alot of the pupils came from around there.