The Queens Hotel, Scotland Street

Back in January I asked one of the workmen that was tidying it up what was happening and was told luxury apartments and student accommodation. They boarded it up but theres been no sign of anyone since. Such a shame if its fallen through, its a lovely old building.

Back in January I asked one of the workmen that was tidying it up what was happening and was told luxury apartments and student accommodation. They boarded it up but theres been no sign of anyone since. Such a shame if its fallen through, its a lovely old building.

It is. I expect it to be flattened.

It is. I expect it to be flattened.

I fear you may be right. I really hope not though. The workman I spoke to said that they had to keep the original frontage as it was listed.

I fear you may be right. I really hope not though. The workman I spoke to said that they had to keep the original frontage as it was listed.

That suits me nikki :)

I think the old and new can make excellent modern buildings. It's obviously more expensive which is why companies will flatten if allowed.

Sheffield is terrible for not giving a toss and letting anything be flattened. The Star and Garter is the latest example.

On ' Skyscrapercity' has a thread called ' Queens Hotel Development' it shows how the development will look if done . The pub frontage is retained but with large glass windows the roof has a terrace area with a sort of glass corridor running along the top . Either side of the retained front will have new build apartments with balcony's that's number one plan ,but the developer has drawn up scaled down plans too this time smaller buildings retained front but no roof terrace. The building has had quite a few building applications on it with various ideas anything from reopening it has a pub to flats the building been recently sold again. So its anyone guess on what's been planned now , I believe the derelict church in the area is now up for sale too.

---------- Post added 01-10-2016 at 08:43 ----------

I know. It looks like a right bustlin street in those days.

From looking through the pictures, it looks like it was widened on different sides at different times, based on the few buildings that remain.

Of course, I uploaded some from around there the other day, just click left and right.

edit, actually I can only see this one of actual Scotland St in this set. I was uploading them to show something else and only included this one. I did a drive around there in the same year which shows it.

Thanks for the photos the area even from 2007 has seen big changers

no doubt yet more will be going up

Scotland Street seems a sort of wasteland area full of derelict buildings some you would look twice at others not but one building I do like is the old derelict boozer, The Queen's Hotel. The brickwork design givens the building a strong grand look which in its day would have looked impressive. However the building today sits unloved an battered sign proclaimes ' wards' on the roofline the doors and windows covered with wooden boards. Iv heard their are plans to make the pub into ' trendy' flats no chance of it reopening as its intended purpose. Did you go in the Queens , or the know reason why it closed?

--------------------

Hi Crookespire, This is how it looks today all boarded up,

i and my family use to go in the Queens Hotel on Sunday night

for the singing talent night.

Around early to mid 1980's I used to attend club meetings upstairs in this pub.

--------------------

Hi Crookespire, This is how it looks today all boarded up,

i and my family use to go in the Queens Hotel on Sunday night

for the singing talent night.

Nice photo , I really wish I had the money to restore it Iv seen a photo of the pub just two years before it closed looked nice. Notice that the sash widows have been removed .

Nice photo , I really wish I had the money to restore it Iv seen a photo of the pub just two years before it closed looked nice. Notice that the sash widows have been removed .

-----------------

What was the building about next door Robert Neil, was it some

cutlery firm or somut to do with steel. :huh:

-----------------

What was the building about next door Robert Neil, was it some

cutlery firm or somut to do with steel. :huh:

I think it was electrical warehouse it was closed before the pub . Iv seen inside photos its asbestos ridden.

Anyone know anything more about the proposals for this building/site. 

I note this recent application for whether an EIA was needed. 

19/03538/EIA | EIA (Environmental Impact Assessment) screening request for a decision as to whether the proposal is considered EIA Development (as defined in the EIA Regulations) Redevelopment of site, including demolition, erection of 230 residential apartments upto 11 storeys in height, ground floor retail/commercial units, basement car parking, cycle parking and ancillary facilities | Site Of Former Queens Hotel 85 Scotland Street Sheffield S3 7BX

It would be such a shame to see the building demolished. It would appear that it isn't listed. 

I've just answered my own question. The proposal does indeed necessitate the entire demolition of the Queens Head pub. Sheffield Council say that because the building is not listed, and it is not within a conservation area, there is nothing that can be done to prevent its demolition. 

In reality, I'm sure the council could prevent its demolition if they wanted to.