Goodbye Mr Chips 9 eckington grammar school

I have just been informed of the death of our old Maths teacher from the 50s and 60s at the old Eckington Grammar School. Mr Gray reached the advanced age of 89.

Many former pupils were full of praise at his ability ot make numbers interesting. He also ran the 5th Eckington scouts for many years.

Many old pupils have said how they were inspired to carry on with their education by Mr Gray. I only hope there are as many inspired teachers still around today.

R.I.P

Hi,

My name is Jackie Naylor and my Dad is called Deryck Naylor. I was just curious if you remembered him?

Thanks

Jackie

Hi,

My name is Jackie Naylor and my Dad is called Deryck Naylor. I was just curious if you remembered him?

Thanks

Jackie

Dear Jackie,

If your dad was in the 1951 intake, I knew him but I can't be sure as I didn't know the spelling of his name, strange really when you consider we spent 5 yrs at school.

Grammarian

Hi,

Thanks

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

Another question to clarify if your dad was in my year, was he from Frecheville/Gleadless area and did he know Ian Crowther?

Grammarian

Edited by Grammarian
correction of spelling

Are there any former Eckington Grammar School students from the 1951 intake out there who remember Mr. Grey, Mr. Guest or Mr. Gilbody?

Mr Grey was my form master, Mr Guest was the chemistry teacher. Other teachers in my era were Mr Adams, Mr Shaw, Mr Durrant, Mr Ulliot, Mr Bacon, Mr Moore and Miss Bowler. Mr Grey was referred to as GEG.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 15:00 ----------

I forgot Mr Slattery ,French and German,and Dr Wright,English

Hello Fozzie,

It's good to know that some of us are still around. Are you in contact with any others of your year?

I was a pupil from 1943. lived and bussed in from Frecheville, by Hulleys

I remember GEG very well as afew of us were involved in setting up 5 th Eckington. Bert Read, Dogger Downes and myself were all scouts in other troops and were very happy to have school troop.

I still remember the Gang Shows and Bert and I doing a Barber Shop comedy turn.

My dad got transferred to \Ilkeston the year of my School Cert and I went to live with my Gran at Clowne and cycled to school for a year.

It was very good time for me very enjoyable friends and an excellent education.

I would like to hear from other old timers

Edited by copperson
left a word out

Are there any former Eckington Grammar School students from the 1951 intake out there who remember Mr. Grey, Mr. Guest or Mr. Gilbody?

I went to Westfield Comp 1956 to 1959, I remember all these teachers, our headmaster was a Mr Rollinson. They were happy years, the teachers were great and the kids were a lot more respectful to their teachers back then. And also dressed in school uniform.