Descendants of Joshua Stopford

I'm trying to trace descendants of Joshua Stopford who owned a grocers shop on Janson Street in 1905. I have inherited a loving cup presented by him to, I am assuming, someone in my family. The details of this cup can be found in my other thread entitled "Tracing the History of a Carbrook loving cup". My mother, who had the cup passed away and I know nothing of its history. If anyone out there can help I would be very grateful.

I'm trying to trace descendants of Joshua Stopford who owned a grocers shop on Janson Street in 1905. I have inherited a loving cup presented by him to, I am assuming, someone in my family. The details of this cup can be found in my other thread entitled "Tracing the History of a Carbrook loving cup". My mother, who had the cup passed away and I know nothing of its history. If anyone out there can help I would be very grateful.

Are there any pottery marks under the cup, may indicate the date, there were two Joshua's senior and junior, looks like senior died 1890 at Janson street age 49 junior born 1872.

Joshua junior, born Oct-Dec 1872, married Charlotte Ann Taylor on 26 November 1894 (Joshua's identity is confirmed as his address is given in the marriage record as 74 Janson Street). Charlotte was evidently known as Lottie, and they turn up in the 1901 census return at 9 Dunlop Street. Joshua was a self-employed "carting contractor" and their two children at that time were Ivy, age 5, and Ida, 10 months (they also employed Catherine Connor, 18, as a servant). Joshua died in Jul-Sep 1907, aged only 34, and Charlotte remarried in 1909, to Joseph Kitching. Charlotte turns up in the 1911 census at 114 Don Road with Ivy, 15 and Ida, 10, and also three younger children Linda, 8, Joshua, 7 and Leslie, 3.

In regard to tracing descendants, Joshua and Charlotte of course had five children, but just looking at young Joshua to begin with, he may well have been the Joshua Stopford who married Mary Onions in Sheffield in 1932. A Michael Stopford was born in Sheffield in 1937, his mother's maiden name being Onions, and a Michael Stopford, age 65+, turns up in the 2014 census return at an address in S12.

Edited by hillsbro

Retep, no there are no marks on the cup other than the inscriptions described in my previous topic, but as you let me know the shop was owned by a Joshua Stopford in 1905, it must be Joshua junior who had the cup made.

Hillsbro, quite a family tree you unearthed there, thanks. By the addresses you have provided I'm now more convinced that the cup was presented to a family member and less convinced that it we acquired it by other means, because my parents lived in Don Rd., I was born in Don Rd. and my grandparents lived in Fell St. just off Don Rd. Because of the years involved, if it was a gift then I am guessing it may have been to one or both of my great grandparents whom, unfortunately I know very little about. Maybe it could have been a wedding present. Perhaps I'll never know, but it's all very intriguing. Maybe someone from the Stopford family might know something......? Ah well, here's hoping.

Thank you to both for your information.

Hi Don Rd Dude - I just checked the obituaries in "The Star", and the Michael Stopford I found sadly died in February - see here. It may be possible to find other likely descendants of Joshua and Charlotte - I can try if you like!

Hi hillsbro, how sad. How kind of you to offer to help. I'm pretty useless at this kind of thing and yes, I graciously accept your help. I'd never make detective. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Hi Don Rd Dude - I actually just did a little "homework". The two youngest children evidently never married; Linda died aged 75 in 1977 and Leslie Stopford died aged 72 in 1979. Ivy married Walter Kirby in 1917, while Ida married John Clark in 1930. I'll see where we can go from here tomorrow (a bit tired tonight :() - maybe we'll find other descendants. :)

Thanks hillsbro, you obviously know where to look and enjoy doing it. Much appreciated. I'm away for a couple of days after tomorrow so please don't think I'm not interested anymore. I will reply as soon as I get back if you have posted anything new.

Well, I’m up early, so here goes… Ida Stopford’s descendants were difficult to pin down but I think I might have found Ivy’s granddaughter. As I wrote, Ivy married Walter Kirby in 1917. A son, also Walter, was born the following year. Walter married Agnes N. Sherwood in 1946, and a daughter, Carolyn A. Kirby, was born in 1952. Carolyn married Malcolm Barnes in 1972 and they live in S10.

I've sent you a PM.

Thanks very much. I've read it and replied.

---------- Post added 19-09-2016 at 15:28 ----------

Hi, I've just sent a letter to Mrs Kirby-Barnes. Let's hope it's the right one and get a reply. Will keep you posted.

It's been well over a week since I sent the letter and had no reply, so it looks like a dead end.:( So, many thanks to both retep and hillsbro for your help in getting me this far.;)