Sheffield Forum

Will you change political allegiance?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

18-05-2017, 16:24   #1
poppet2

Total Posts: 3,848
Now that all the political parties have produced their manifesto's, have you decided to change allegiance and why? Even if it means voting tactically.

Last edited by poppet2; 18-05-2017 at 16:28.
18-05-2017, 16:41   #2
El Cid

Total Posts: 6,654
I dont like any party borrowing more money, when we are 1.8 trillion in debt, I dont like taking away free school meals - I think it should be expended to all primary school children.
I cannot see me changing, the Tories have promised things for years, why should I believe them now?
18-05-2017, 17:06   #3
sgtkate

Total Posts: 4,322
I was have flipped flopped between supporting LDs and Labour lately. I am a Green voter at heart but they've never stood in my area.

Until Labours manifesto was released I was going to go LDs which would be a change for me. Once I'd read the manifesto I switched straight back to Labour as I really like it's content.

Then the Greens decided to field a candidate in my area so it was all pondering for nothing!
18-05-2017, 17:32   #4
Mister M

Total Posts: 8,892
For the last couple of elections I've voted Green, because I couldn't stomach voting Labour, for a number of reasons.
I like Labour's manifesto under Jeremy Corbyn, and I will be voting for Labour. I'm not 100% certain - but then I don't believe that everyone agrees with 100% of everything in their choice of party.
_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
19-05-2017, 22:31   #5
poppet2

Total Posts: 3,848
Well, after the Conservatives manifesto re. the heating allowance being means tested and no free lunches for kiddies and people having to pay for their care once they die if their assets are over a certain amount; I think a lot of pensioners will think twice now about voting for the Tories. I heard a pensioner on the radio this morning say he would rather burn his house than let the Tories sell it, to pay for his care when he is dead.
19-05-2017, 22:41   #6
Anna B

Total Posts: 9,562
I was willing to give Theresa May a chance when she first became Prime Minister, she was making all the right noises, as I said in an earlier post.

But she has proved to be just as rotten as all the other Tories, in spite of her mealy mouthed words about helping the 'just about managing.'

I shall be voting Labour.
19-05-2017, 22:49   #7
Book Worm

Total Posts: 60
I'm totally swamped with this one. We're a hard working family, have a 'medium' income, two children and believe in paying our own way. Which way do we turn? Having read all the manifesto promises, which way do we turn?
19-05-2017, 22:54   #8
JNewton69

Total Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Worm View Post
I'm totally swamped with this one. We're a hard working family, have a 'medium' income, two children and believe in paying our own way. Which way do we turn? Having read all the manifesto promises, which way do we turn?
Jeremy Corbyn and Labour is the only way my love!
19-05-2017, 22:58   #9
Anna B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Worm View Post
Well you know what I think, but I think you should watch the question and answer sessions (on TV next week I think.)

Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn will answer questions from the audience (not together,) and see what you think then.

It should be interesting.

Last edited by Anna B; 19-05-2017 at 23:00.
19-05-2017, 22:59   #10
I1L2T3

Total Posts: 13,181
No, sticking with the Greens.
_______
Ive learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"
Maya Angelou
19-05-2017, 23:14   #11
crookedspire

Total Posts: 1,377
Despite I'm more centre left in politics I'm backing Corbyn all the way . I'm tired of watching people suffer year in and out I'm tired of watching the disabled people treated like scum. I want the next generation to have a chance in life not end up on the streets or watch families struggle with a loved one's care. I would rather burn in hell than vote for May . I don't vote was best for me I vote was best for all.
20-05-2017, 10:24   #12
Becky B

Total Posts: 2,796
I haven't yet looked at the manifestos in detail, but what I have seen so far leaves me leaning slightly more towards Lib Dem than Labour as I prefer some of their pledges over Labour's.

But... is a vote for Lib Dem just going to let the Tories back in?
I'm in the Hillsborough-Brightside constituency, so I think I've just answered my question!
_______
Playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order
20-05-2017, 17:05   #13
Anna B

I think there will be a lot of tactical voting going on.
20-05-2017, 18:24   #14
El Cid

Total Posts: 6,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B View Post
But... is a vote for Lib Dem just going to let the Tories back in?
I'm in the Hillsborough-Brightside constituency, so I think I've just answered my question!
I think we can safely say that the Tories will get back in. So with that in mind, vote for the person/party that you would like to hold them to account.
20-05-2017, 19:06   #15
Anna B

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
I think we can safely say that the Tories will get back in. So with that in mind, vote for the person/party that you would like to hold them to account.
I would no longer hold that as a given. Labour are in with a chance.
20-05-2017, 19:15   #16
Lockdoctor

Total Posts: 170
I don't think the views on this thread reflect reality. Many traditional Labour voters are going to vote Tory in this election. The Green Party will do well if they keep Brighton. The Liberal Democrats wont do much better than they did last time. The SNP are not going to hold all their seats they won in 2015.

A big win for the Tories.
_______
Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
20-05-2017, 19:31   #17
I1L2T3

Total Posts: 13,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdoctor View Post
I don't think the views on this thread reflect reality. Many traditional Labour voters are going to vote Tory in this election. The Green Party will do well if they keep Brighton. The Liberal Democrats wont do much better than they did last time. The SNP are not going to hold all their seats they won in 2015.

A big win for the Tories.
I think the Tories will win but not as decisively as May envisaged.
_______
Ive learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel"
Maya Angelou
20-05-2017, 19:52   #18
Lockdoctor

Total Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by I1L2T3 View Post
I think the Tories will win but not as decisively as May envisaged.
Anything less than a 90 seat majority, will be a disappointment for Mrs May.
_______
Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.
20-05-2017, 19:55   #19
Litotes

Total Posts: 1,707
Is this election about their manifestos (which they have no obligation to stick to - as has been evidenced by the current government) or is it about Brexit?
_______
Less than 38% of the UK's electorate voted to leave the EU - how can this be democratic?
"'In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way." - Nigel Farage 2016
"There is not going to be a general election. Another Tory U-turn...
20-05-2017, 19:55   #20
sibon
Attraction

Total Posts: 19,168
I've voted the same way in every General Election since 1983.

This year I shall be changing my vote from Labour to Lib Dem. This is for one very simple reason, the promise of a second referendum at the end of the Brexit negotiations. Everything else is secondary.
_______
And it's pandemonium, for the humble and the mighty
Reply To Topic