Sheffield Forum

Best Chippy's in the past in Sheffield

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

15-05-2017, 19:33   #41
oinkjames

Total Posts: 86
I think the one at Pond Street was called The Friary.

One of the best chippys was Buxtons on Alnwick Road at Intake. One of the cheapest as well.
15-05-2017, 23:14   #42
TORONTONY

Total Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkjames View Post
I think the one at Pond Street was called The Friary.

One of the best chippys was Buxtons on Alnwick Road at Intake. One of the cheapest as well.
Friary sounds about right, cheers.
15-05-2017, 23:51   #43
WarPig

Total Posts: 906
I have vague recollections as a kid in the 70's of a chip shop somewhere off Hollinsend Rd, perhaps on Alnwick Rd in Gleadless. Even as a kid I was aware that it sold cheaply priced chips.
16-05-2017, 00:13   #44
Jim Hardie

Total Posts: 6,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarPig View Post
I have vague recollections as a kid in the 70's of a chip shop somewhere off Hollinsend Rd, perhaps on Alnwick Rd in Gleadless. Even as a kid I was aware that it sold cheaply priced chips.
There was one on Stanhope Road just off Hollinsend Road. Stanhope Fisheries?
_______
CONGRATULATIONS WEDNESDAY
Sheffield's top dogs again in 2016/17
(That's just 42 times in my 68 years)

At last a bit of competition for 2017/18
16-05-2017, 08:53   #45
Spacecat

Total Posts: 469
Our favourite chippy was the Sunbeam on Barnsley Road..... Night out in the Sportsman, Limes Club or the Cannon Hall then a scrumptious 'fish supper' to round the night off.
_______
Remember.....The higher a monkey climbs....the more you'll see of his arse.
16-05-2017, 18:27   #46
jaffa1

Total Posts: 955
The chippy that used to be up Watery Lane, Portmahon ,we used to call it the greasy chippy because they were but they tasted so good.
Then we have Becketts on Meadow Street another favourite where we called on our way home from the Roscoe.
18-05-2017, 20:04   #47
jacktar

Total Posts: 11
The one on Alnwick Road, Intake was great. Don't remember the name of it, it closed in the early 90's.
19-05-2017, 20:55   #48
actionman

Total Posts: 1,516
Ray,s fisheries on mansfield rd intake which later became stan's.
Only lived 5 doors away. ��
'
_______
on the sacrificial altar to success my friend!!
then pot the red and screwback...
then tuck him up!!!
19-05-2017, 21:14   #49
trastrick

Total Posts: 601
My nomination for best chippy, was just about all of them in 1950.

In the 40s and 50s there was a chippy on almost every second street serving the locals.

Woe betide any that tried to cut corners. A bad rep in those days meant you had to move out of the neighborhood, or you'd just be avoided like the plague.

So you finished up with proud owners, and happy local customers.

Some honorable mentions: Cambridge Road, Heeley Green, amd Myrtle Road.

Last edited by trastrick; 19-05-2017 at 21:17.
19-05-2017, 21:45   #50
WarPig

Total Posts: 906
My ancestors had a Chippy many many decades ago somewhere near Ecclesall Rd. I was chatting to the owner of Two Steps chippy on Sharrowvale Rd and asked him where it might have been. Turns out there used to be a chippy directly opposite Two Steps on the other side of the road. If that was the one, I'd love to know more about it or see some old photos.

Infact, just done a google search and found this thread discussing it..

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=279773

Last edited by WarPig; 19-05-2017 at 21:48.
23-05-2017, 15:37   #51
blackydog

Total Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionman View Post
Ray,s fisheries on mansfield rd intake which later became stan's.
Only lived 5 doors away. ��
'
Yep I used to go there when I worked outside. Counter staff were a bit tasty too as I remember.

---------- Post added 23-05-2017 at 15:38 ----------

My favourite used to be Robin Hood down Attercliffe. Vaguely remembered he suffered a fire though on more than one occasion??
_______
John St season ticket holder. UTB -The football balance is changing in this city
30-05-2017, 16:13   #52
EdmundH

Total Posts: 86
Was the "Paragon" chippy sometimes known as "The Sicey"?
I remember it, it was indeed some 50 years ago.
Best fish and chips on earth...

---------- Post added 30-05-2017 at 15:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecat View Post
Our favourite chippy was the Sunbeam on Barnsley Road..... Night out in the Sportsman, Limes Club or the Cannon Hall then a scrumptious 'fish supper' to round the night off.
Hey, yeah I remember all that... Great days... Especially the fish supper from the "Sunbeam" to round the night off.
Better than a package weekend at the Hilton...
03-06-2017, 15:20   #53
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 2,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by smary View Post
Harlequin on Howard Street, we always visited when we came up from Cornwall. Even though we live by the sea these fish and chips were much better.
Agree with that. It was an institution. The best chip shop in Sheffield by far, imo. I hope Bill Green who used to run it is still alive and well. Very nice man, always pleasant and with a good sense of humour. And those old ladies who used to work there my God they used to crack me up. Eccentric isn't too strong a description for them. I often used to eat in - there were 2 little rooms up a steep flight of stairs and an eating area downstairs at the back, through which the staff would trawl back and forth to a kitchen. If you were upstairs you'd hear the thunder of feet and these ladies would be literally running up and down the stairs carrying several plates of fish and chips at a time. I bet Health & Safety wouldn't allow it now!

Bill would let everyone know very clearly when fish or chips were coming out of the pan with a loud cry of "CHIPS" or "FISH" - he often startled customers with this but I think the staff had got used to it!

If you ate in you got one and half slices of very thin sliced bread and marg. And the tea came in little pewter tea-pots which got boiling hot so you couldn't really grab the handle to pour anything, unless you wrapped a napkin or a hanky around it first. And the spout didn't pour the tea very cleanly and it usually ended up all over the table!

A mate of mine was sat eating his fish n chips in the little back room near closing time when one of the old dears wandered through to the kitchen, with a fish in her bare hands. She literally threw it on his plate as she went past and said, "av that luv". He was gobsmacked!

Last edited by DerbyTup; 03-06-2017 at 15:25.
03-06-2017, 15:23   #54
tracyj

Total Posts: 453
Johnnys at beighton across road from matthews shop
23-06-2017, 17:25   #55
bazza63

Total Posts: 228
Correct before in the late 40s early 50s it belonged to Slingsbys, the best chip shop in Sheffield, this week on R/Sheffield Toby Foster has been on about proper Fish Cakes he says they were a mixture of fish and bread crums then fried,he is wrong a proper fish cake is two slices of potatoe with fish in the middle fried in batter what he is on about is rissole Barnsley Crackpot.
23-06-2017, 18:47   #56
focemal

Total Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza63 View Post
Correct before in the late 40s early 50s it belonged to Slingsbys, the best chip shop in Sheffield, this week on R/Sheffield Toby Foster has been on about proper Fish Cakes he says they were a mixture of fish and bread crums then fried,he is wrong a proper fish cake is two slices of potatoe with fish in the middle fried in batter what he is on about is rissole Barnsley Crackpot.
Heard someone today talking about a fish slice as opposed to a fishcake. These people clearly need Sheffield education!!
_______
No, no, no - it's spelt Raymond Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
24-06-2017, 00:32   #57
TORONTONY

Total Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by focemal View Post
Heard someone today talking about a fish slice as opposed to a fishcake. These people clearly need Sheffield education!!
Rotherhammers LOL
24-06-2017, 17:29   #58
glennpickard

Total Posts: 391
Two in Attercliffe that were very good. "Ainsleys" on Chippingham St and "Seniors" at the bottom of Britnall St. where it met Worksop Rd.
Seniors did excellent Rissoles and often I would buy three of them only and not bother with the chips !
There was also one in Brightside down Don Rd, believe it was called "James."
24-06-2017, 18:12   #59
andrejuan

Total Posts: 2,184
In the 70s, the one on the top shops at Lowedges was good, the fishcakes were lovely and the Cod fresh as could be.

But gawd were they small portions! tiny bag of chips, and quite small fish.

The owner (obviously keen on profit margins) use to watch the staff like a hawk, we used to hope she went in the back when we were getting served

But as someone else said in an earlier post, most were good back then due to competition, and the fact they knew how to fry properly. Also, they only fried a limited menu, some just did fish, chips, fishcake, rissole, and a choice of two pies, even today the fewer things on the board the better the food.
_______
audi alteram partem
24-06-2017, 18:48   #60
abbeyedges

Total Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrejuan View Post
In the 70s, the one on the top shops at Lowedges was good, the fishcakes were lovely and the Cod fresh as could be.

But gawd were they small portions! tiny bag of chips, and quite small fish.

The owner (obviously keen on profit margins) use to watch the staff like a hawk, we used to hope she went in the back when we were getting served

But as someone else said in an earlier post, most were good back then due to competition, and the fact they knew how to fry properly. Also, they only fried a limited menu, some just did fish, chips, fishcake, rissole, and a choice of two pies, even today the fewer things on the board the better the food.
I remember the one at the top shops on Lowedges in the 1970's. Must admit I always thought the owner was a bloke. Can picture him now. Receding hair at the front. Used to go in there when the Grennell Mower called time.
Reply To Topic