Council spraying glyphosate in upperthorpe 16/4

I have just found the council spraying glyphosate [roundup] in the upperthorpe area . They have sprayed the steps and paths leading onto the Ponderosa Park and around the tower blocks.

No warning signs have been put up so please be aware that your animals could be at risk until this muck dries/ is washed away.

and in another thread you would moan they dont take care of the neighbourhood!!

cant win can they?

I don't think you will find that I have ever moaned on any thread anywhere about the council taking care of the neighbourhood - I suggest that you wind your neck in.

and in another thread you would moan they dont take care of the neighbourhood!!

cant win can they?

Is there any need for that?

Mort is simply trying to make pet owners aware of the danger to their animals of this policy, given that the council don't put up signs or barriers to protect animals until the hazard is passed.

I have just found the council spraying glyphosate [roundup] in the upperthorpe area . They have sprayed the steps and paths leading onto the Ponderosa Park and around the tower blocks.

No warning signs have been put up so please be aware that your animals could be at risk until this muck dries/ is washed away.

How would you like them to deal with the weeds then?

Glyphosate is pretty much safe about ten minutes after it has been sprayed. Unlike dog or cat faeces, for example:rolleyes:

Is there any need for that?

Mort is simply trying to make pet owners aware of the danger to their animals of this policy, given that the council don't put up signs or barriers to protect animals until the hazard is passed.

Pets have exceptionally good noses and often alot more common sence than their owners.

How would you like them to deal with the weeds then?

Glyphosate is pretty much safe about ten minutes after it has been sprayed. Unlike dog or cat faeces, for example:rolleyes:

They aren't dealing with weeds for the most part, they're killing all of the grass next to kerbs, around bins and fences (exactly where dogs tend to sniff). It would be so easy to prevent toxicity just by putting up a sign to warn owners for a couple of hours after spraying an area.

And what if someone trips on the signs?

They aren't dealing with weeds for the most part, they're killing all of the grass next to kerbs, around bins and fences (exactly where dogs tend to sniff). It would be so easy to prevent toxicity just by putting up a sign to warn owners for a couple of hours after spraying an area.

But there isn't really any toxicity.

By the time the sprayers are out of sight, the stuff will be dry anyway.

Pets have exceptionally good noses....

And they often get poisoned because their noses are good for what they're designed for, but not tuned to pick up man-made toxins. Hence why so many cats die every year through ingesting anti-freeze.

---------- Post added 16-04-2014 at 15:23 ----------

Thanks for the heads up Mort- could well save the life of a loved family pet :)

Shame the council don't care :(

Anyone know if there's any kind of legal pressure that can be applied to stop them spraying poison without leaving clear signs?

When I asked the gentlemen about the spraying they said it was being done by sheffield homes. As far as I know the council claim to have a no weedkiller policy or at least that is what a friend was told when they had a problem with knotweed.

The acute LD50 toxicity from glyphosate is listed as >5000mg/kg of body weight so for a 15 kg dog it would take 75g of glyphosate to cause a 50% chance of lethal toxicity.

The standard dosing for weeds is 360g/l using 3L per hectare resulting in about 11mg/sq m. So to ingest a toxic dose, a dog would need to lick freshly sprayed glyphosate from about 6800 sq m.

There is basically very, very low toxicity risk from inhalation or absorption.

Edited by biotechpete