Can any rescue help Harvey? *Sad Update*

There's no real point to this thread, just me venting some anger and having a rant!

On Friday evening I got a phone call from my Mum asking if I knew of anybody that might want a 9 month old Labrador puppy as her friend had ended up with one and couldn't keep it.

Basically, my Mums friend has a neighbour with learning difficulties. He had this puppy given to him by someone who could no longer keep it as they were returning home to China on Monday (tomorrow). This person had no idea how to look after or care for a puppy. It ended up living and sleeping outside in a crate.

My Mums friend couldn't stand seeing the puppy suffering so she went round and took the puppy from him (with his permission). She has never had a dog before and knew she couldn't keep it but she just wanted to get it out of the bad situation and help it. Which is why she asked for my help.

With the help of a lovely lady on Facebook, between us we managed to get rescue back up for this dog with Labradors In Need. He has a foster home ready and waiting for him and the rescue are going to to get him vaccinated, neutered, chipped and have him properly assessed.

My Mums friend was very pleased and was ready to hand over the puppy to me so I could arrange for the rescue to collect him. However, when she spoke to her neighbour and told him the good news, he said 'No, you can't give him away, his original owner has rang me and said he might be coming back for him on Sunday' (today). Even though he's moving to China tomorrow and can't take the dog with him. :suspect:

Personally, I think he's been talking to someone, mentioned that he's moving back to China and has had to give his puppy away and someone has said to him 'what you done that for, I would have given you £xx for him. Now this man has realised he could make a bit of money from the puppy, he wants it back!

I asked my Mums friend to just give the dog to me and say it had already been rehomed or to say she took it out for a walk and it ran off but she wouldn't. She's terrified of what will happen if this man turns up for the puppy and it isn't there. She's giving him til this evening to collect it. If he doesn't turn up, she will hand the puppy over to me.

It's so frustrating but all I can do now is wait and hope he doesn't show up :(

Edited by angel22

Oh thats so annoying, rescuing animals is easy...its the people with them that drive you mad, I could go on I suppose I shouldn't but suffice to say that I know how you feel.

I hope that he doesn't come for the dog the poor thing deserves this chance.

The disabled man is now saying he's unsure as to wether the owner of the dog is moving to China or just going for a holiday! So my Mums friend is reluctant to let me have him and hand him over to the rescue in case the owner turns up after his holiday and wants his dog back.

The disabled man is ringing the owner but getting no answer.

He clearly doesn't give a dam about this dog! I'm so frustrated right now!

Thats terrible taking advantage of someone like that :(

The dog is now at my house. I really didn't think this through! I just wanted to get him away. My dog is not happy at all that he's here!

He's so calm and placid and gentle, bless him. He's happy to just ignore my dog but she's being a nightmare!

I can't send him to the rescue yet though until we've heard from his owner.

Oh bless you, I hope the situation is cleared up quickly :)

Ideally I need to find someone to foster him for a while until we hear from the owner. He's fine to be with other dogs, he's really calm and gentle. Once he's had a sniff, he's happy to ignore other dogs. It's my dogs thats the problem x

Hopefully something can be sorted :)

Peaches, thank you so much for offering to foster this boy. I really cannot thank you enough.

Like i said, if at any time you decide you cannot keep him, let me know and I will sort something else for him.

I've told my friend that we cannot wait indefinitely for this man who may or may not come back for the dog. I've told her if nobody hears from him within a week of him last getting in contact (which was yesterday) the dog will be going to the rescue as planned.

Hes fast asleep and has been pretty much since you left. Gsv came back just after you went and he instantly relaxed

Aww, bless him. He was trying to sleep at my house, but my dog just wouldn't let him.

Mine have taken themselves off to bed, and left the poor pup snoring.