Can any rescue help Harvey? *Sad Update*

Do you have too sign up to photo bucket? Would let me view them :-(

That's strange. No, you don't need to be signed up to view them. I've never had a problem before when I've posted pictures.

Can anybody else see the pics??

I can see them, he's absolutely gorgeous :) (As is the black and white cat you have pics of, which I would love to take off your hands!!)

Hi Hackwood. I've been following this thread closely - Harvey looks beautiful :)

I have access to scientific research papers as part of my job, and have come across one (here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=8317763&dopt=AbstractPlus) that states dogs with PSS do not need low protein, but a diet lower in purines, such as cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs and ricotta cheese. It would seem simply lowering all proteins won't help all that much.

So if I were to add the above cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs and ricotta cheese to his diet this would help, sorry if I seem a bit thick but just need as much information as possible.

Arrhh shame. I've tried a few times. I could see previous pic of him laid in his cage on his back fast asleep. Soooo cute :-)

Edited by sheffield0
Spelling

So if I were to add the above cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs and ricotta cheese to his diet this would help, sorry if I seem a bit thick but just need as much information as possible.

What I meant was don't fall into the trap of feeding too little protein - this may (or may not, all dogs are different) cause itchy skin, poor coat quality and weight issues. What I was trying to point out was that low purine, and not necessarily low protein was a better choice based on this particular study. Low purine means a diet that can include some fish, eggs, poultry and the above cheeses/yogurt. This brand (which I googled, so please don't take my word as gospel!) https://www.sojos.com/products/dog-food/sojos-turkey-complete-dog-food appears low in purines, and could be complemented with eggs and dairy to make a balanced diet. These suggestions are just the results of my research into dogs with PSS, and should not be used in place of veterinary advice. Hope this helps :)

What I meant was don't fall into the trap of feeding too little protein - this may (or may not, all dogs are different) cause itchy skin, poor coat quality and weight issues. What I was trying to point out was that low purine, and not necessarily low protein was a better choice based on this particular study. Low purine means a diet that can include some fish, eggs, poultry and the above cheeses/yogurt. This brand (which I googled, so please don't take my word as gospel!) https://www.sojos.com/products/dog-food/sojos-turkey-complete-dog-food appears low in purines, and could be complemented with eggs and dairy to make a balanced diet. These suggestions are just the results of my research into dogs with PSS, and should not be used in place of veterinary advice. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for your help.

I really hope he's ok Hackwood, you're doing a fab job - and we shall be contributing to his funds when something is sorted :) I didn't mean to sound patronising/snobbish/clever/anything bad with my last post - I just don't think my single hours research is as good as what a qualified vet can tell you (I'm a theoretical physicist by trade)!

Hi,

Harvey is being really naughty tonight, chasing our cats, trying to hump Keeley, lol, we will both be home with him this weekend and our other dogs, hope to try him with different food this weekend.

Will keep everyone posted daily.

Thanks to everyone again.

That sounds more like the Harvey I know! Glad he seems to be feeling better :)

Ooh he does sound better doesn't he? nice that Keeley has found a "special friend" (they will kill me) :hihi:

Keep up the good work!