Who is going to win  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who is going to win

• Nibali
    • Quintana
    • Contador
    • Froome
    • Someone else

With the le Tour nearly upon us I thought that I start a mega thread for his years race.

After last year when Yorkshire hosted what was described as being the grandest of Grand Departs it's time to look forward to this years race. What a race we have store! For the first time in I don't know how many years we have 4 genuine GC contenders who all have a very real chance of winning.

First up Nibali. Last years winner, he belongs to the the select group of 6 cyclists to win all three of the Grand Tours. Incidentally he also won the York to Sheffield stage, so only a fool will wrote him off.

Then we have Quintana. The Columbian climbing sensation cannot be ignored, he won the Giro last year and was runner up to Froome in 2013's tour. Although he has kept a low profile this year with lots of altitude work being done in his native country, at 25 he looks ready to take the final step.

Next comes Contador. The outstanding GC rider of his generation. Another member of the club of cyclists who has won all three Grand Tours, in fact he's won them all twice! He's also going after the Giro and le Tour double which many believe isn't possible, so if he pulls it off he'll cement his place as one of the all time greats.

Lastly comes Froome. Froome needs no introduction, he looks to be coming into form with a moral boosting win at the Dauphiné, which is seen as the warm up for le Tour. More importantly for Froome, is that his team mates seem to coming in a rich vein of form and this could be the factor that will turn the tide his way.

The teams have has announced their squad for this years race, and there are 10 British cyclists in this years race. This equals the record for the biggest British contingent in the Tour, which was set in 1955, and is a big increase on the four Britons who started the 2014 race in Yorkshire.

Sky have five British riders in their team of eight. Froome, Thomas, Stannard, Rowe and Kennaugh. They are joined by Dowsett, the twins Adam and Simon Yates, Cummings and last but certainly not least Cavendish.

So fingers crossed for a good race, hopefully from the British perspective with Froome winning the GC and Cavendish edging towards Merchx's record for stage wins. Cavendish is third on the all time standings with 25 and Merchx is out in front with 34. Hopefully it's also a good Tour for the young Yates twins, who if they keep up their development will be the future of British cycling.

Edited by JFKvsNixon
Poll added.

Kittel not being selected for this years race.

didn't know that - what's up with him? - he pulled out of #tdy didn't he?

Looking forward to the Yates brothers, will be interesting to see what they can do. The Dutch team of Rabobank/Belkin has been completely overhauled and now goes by the brilliant (uhmmmm) name Lotto-NL Jumbo and Gesink seems to be in good form.

Mollema, a local hero from where I lived before I moved to the UK has gone over to Trek and might well make the top ten this year and perhaps challenge for a podium finish.

Bouhanni is still hoping to come by the way, he did not break ribs after all.

Overall I think it will be Nibali and Contador fighting it out with Nibali the favourite. He has two excellent Dutch aides.

didn't know that - what's up with him? - he pulled out of #tdy didn't he?

I think he started it but dropped out. Apparently he hasn't regained his fitness after an illness.

---------- Post added 29-06-2015 at 16:17 ----------

Poll now added.

It'll be interesting to see how Romain Bardet goes this year, he had a good showing last year... I'll look at what AG2R's line up looks like.

Cavendish hasn't been the same sprinter since he lost weight for the London Olympics - he's lost a bit of edge if you ask me, but on the other hand, with Bouhanni in doubt and no Kittel... He could be on for Green if Degankolb isn't quite on form.

Winner-wise, I'd like to say Froome. It's really hard to say though until we see them head to head. Cobbled sections could give Nibbles an early opportunity.

What about KoM?

Just voted for Contador.

Bertie always seems to have that *little* extra .1% when it really matters.

Maybe Froome has a stronger team - which Contador can profit from - Like Van Garderen did in the Dauphine.

Quintana for KoM unless his time trial has improved spectacularly - which we will find out on saturday...

I like the look of Europcar this year, I think they will steal quite a few of the tougher stages and end up with the same sort of success they had 2/3 years ago.

Dowsett for the yellow Jersey on Saturday?

I'm excited about the course this year with the the first stages being based upon the Classics, and then the mountains counting to the fore towards the end of the race.

So could Nibali gain a decent lead, and then try to hang on through the mountains?

what about Tejay VanGarderen in the poll?

Good showing in the Dauphine. If he can improve on that and be ready to match the best, he's worth a long bet.

reluctantly I have to admit to thinking Contador will win.

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 08:58 ----------

Bertie always seems to have that *little* extra .1% when it really matters.

Aye, he knows how to extract that extra goodness from his steaks;)

[/color]Aye, he knows how to extract that extra goodness from his steaks;)

You might think that but I couldn't possibly comment...:D

Froome had the indian sign on Van Garderen at the dauphine and I can't see that changing a lot.