60's 70's & 80's styles

Inthe 70'sm my mother wore what she 'grew up' in in th 60's. Colourful clothes and big hair.

The 70's clothes I remember: Big flares, then Oxford Bags, high waist torusers, turn-ups, Oxford Bags with high waists and turn-ups, and then a sudden move to drain-pipes. And while we had to wear a tie as part of the school uniform, people would wear them really short and fat and some wore luminescent socks, as there was nothing about socks in the rules.

The 80's - hard to remember - all seemed kinda normal, or maybe I was too busy to notice.

I had a pair of Oxfords and I think they came after the drainpipes.

The drainpipes were re-introduced by Showwaddywaddy in 1974 and the Oxfords were around about 1976.

Like the 60s the 70s highlighted a era of fashion unlike the 80s and 90s.

All the baggy stuff is back thanks to the rappers of today and maybe the millenium will reflect this is the history books of tomorrow and also track suits seem to be emerging to.

If I remember right, Oxford Bags were in, in the early 70s, Birmingham bags (with side pockets) in the mid 70s followed by the baggy pleated 'Soul trouser' and the drainpipes returned late 70s with the Mods....correct me if I'm wrong !

I also remember 'star' jumpers and people wearing trousers with tartan stripes down the side like some Scottish band I can't remember the name of ... Showaddywaddy?

Originally posted by rupert

I also remember 'star' jumpers and people wearing trousers with tartan stripes down the side like some Scottish band I can't remember the name of ... Showaddywaddy?

Bay city rollers thats the band your on about not shawaddywaddy.My mates mother used to sow tartan down the side of his trousers so he could become a roller.

I also remember 'star' jumpers

I had one of those star jumpers, actually they were cardigans.

I had a yellow one with a blck star on each side.

I had it till the mid eightys then had a clear out and the cardy was no more.

I also had many tank tops.

Can't remember the name? nice try, and some people even fell for it. bet you had all their records.

I can remeber funky belts, these were in different colours thread through a loop, and a bit dangling in front of you! I think this was the early 80s. Along with Harrington Jackets, you had your name put on the back in red or white letters (quite sad) and even polivelt shoes, these must have been the most ugly shoes ever made! Can any-one else remember these?

the original skinhead stuff was out in early seventies,

we wore harringtons ,staypress trousers, little diamond patterned

flared mini skirts, trevira jackets with tie tac ,black crombie's,

ben sherman shirts, monkey boots, or doc martins for the blokes.

levis with turn ups, beat hats.

after that era came oxford bags and roller gear-tartan.

there must have been a rebirth of skinhead gear in the 80s cos

70s was the original.

oh also loafers with leather soles. - and the dreadfull straggle cut.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

I had one of those star jumpers, actually they were cardigans.

I had a yellow one with a blck star on each side.

I had it till the mid eightys then had a clear out and the cardy was no more.

I also had many tank tops.

there were both cardies and jumpers. I never had one, personally, but i really coveted my friend's star jumper, hers was black with a white star.

PT

For me it was the Best of Times ... it was also the time when my life went on self disstruct.