Historical Project Help Needed Please on The Mill / Joseph Glover Pub

Hi All

Doing a history project on the above place, that I thought was shut down but each time I have driven past at night I have seen lights on. Does anyone know the answer to that question?

I would love to find out:-

Is this building

• the same building that used to be Glovers' Mill or was that somewhere else?
  • When did it start to be a pub/disco?
  • Would anyone be able to help me with the research? Giving me thoughts on what it was like as a pub, disco, what music you listened to in the 70s, drinks, anecdotes etc
  • DJs and so on from there
  • Where I could find more
    historical info? I guess Sheffield Archives or the Local Studies library?

I have had some contact from a guy named Ian who has been very helpful with the history side of things but would love to hear from anyone who can give first hand information

the same building that used to be Glovers' Mill or was that somewhere else?

My Bold

It was Joseph Glovers Mill before it was a pub. I worked behind the bar for some years and heard many stories so forgive me but I dont know if they are true or false.

Their are several bars in the pub as it is split into five levels. In the basement was the cellar, the next floor was where the discos used to be which were very popular and eventually had to be stopped due to fighting and noise and complaints from the neighbourhood. Ground floor is the tap room/restaurant and another bar which was called the "waggoners" so named after the horses and wagons pulled up alongside to load up with grain. (Joseph Glover was supposed to have hanged himself in this part). The second floor in my time was used for functions, weddings etc. The top floor was the living accomodation

When did it start to be a pub/disco?

Would anyone be able to help me with the research? Giving me thoughts on what it was like as a pub, disco, what music you listened to in the 70s, drinks, anecdotes etc

DJs and so on from there

Where I could find more

historical info? I guess Sheffield Archives or the Local Studies library?

I cant help you with the other questions I am afraid.

Well thanks for that, it's a great start. I didn't know he had hanged himself! Will investigate further, thanks! Saffy:)

actually I am just watching a BBC2 documentary with Kirsty Young who is interviewing a couple called Gary and Jayne who live in Beighton and they met in the Mill!

Hi there

I live very near the pub. It is up for sale on 2 acres of land. A prime site for building houses (admittedly needed) or something worse.

Its so historic and characterful I would like to be listed. Iam contacting Ward councillors about this asap. I dont know the history. Have you got anything ?

Shirley Frost

I think it opened as a bar in 1975. It stood empty for quite a few years before that. At the weekend it was absolutely packed. in the downstairs bar they packed them in like sardines. It was very popular pub at the time. It went downhill when they shut the restaurant IMHO.

Edited by Lostrider

Hi there

I live very near the pub. It is up for sale on 2 acres of land. A prime site for building houses (admittedly needed) or something worse.

Its so historic and characterful I would like to be listed. Iam contacting Ward councillors about this asap. I dont know the history. Have you got anything ?

Shirley Frost

The pub is up for sale as a business for £100,000. I think they are selling the two acres seperatley.

I can remember when I used to drive past when it was a actual flour mill. That would be the late fifty's. I also went in the Mill the first week it opened, and I still went in, on and of till it closed.

Well, I would like some hisotical info on the Mill, photos and stuff but cant find anything on the net or in the local studies stuff at Crystal Peaks library. The stuff I have found up to now is about the family (Glovers) who lived there but nothing about when it was built or pics etc. Any ideas please? Thanks