Where was the asbestos?

I know that this is not a happy subject and I don't need any names.All I need to know is does anyone know of anyone suffering from asbestosis after working in the steel industry.My reason is that I am trying to help find out how a member of my family may have caught this terrible thing .Thank you

My late father worked in the rolling mills in the 1950's/70's, most of the protective clothing issued contained asbestos, ie. gloves, lower arm protectors, gaiters etc.

m&p

My late father worked in the rolling mills in the 1950's/70's, most of the protective clothing issued contained asbestos, ie. gloves, lower arm protectors, gaiters etc.

m&p

I'll support that. My uncle also contracted asbestosis after working in the steel industry as a furnaceman. All of his protective clothing contained asbestos and he died of illnesses related to the asbestosis.

I remember him talking about the dangers of blue asbestos and him blaming it for being the cause of his illness. However, from memory, his contact with blue asbestos was restricted to one occasion when he was involved in stripping and replacing a furnace whereas his daily exposure to normal asbestos lasted thirty years or more.

I was diagnosed as having an x ray on my chest after having a fall,i was called back to NGH for a biopsy and told i had asbestosis I went to Weston Park Hospital every day for a month for radiotherapy,this was 2 years ago and i am now told it is under control and go for a scan very 6 months I was later contacted by SARAG (South Yorkshire Asbestos Victims Across South Yorkshire) 01709360672 and a young lady came to visit me and gave me advice on claiming for compensation,she brought the necessary form with her and completed it all form,all i did was just to sign it

A short time after i received a letter telling me i had been awarded a pension for life,it depends how high you are assessed at so would suggest you contacted SARAG

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 19:11 ----------

I would suggest that you contacted SARAG (South Yorkshire Asbestos Victims Support Group)they were a big help to me after being told i had asbestosis You can contact them on 01707 360 672

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 19:12 ----------

I would suggest that you contacted SARAG (South Yorkshire Asbestos Victims Support Group)they were a big help to me after being told i had asbestosis You can contact them on 01707 360 672

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 19:13 ----------

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 19:44 ----------

---------- Post added 16-11-2014 at 19:13 ----------

[/color]I would suggest that you contacted SARAG (South Yorkshire Asbestos Victims Support Group)they were a big help to me after being told i had asbestosis You can contact them on 01707 360 672

My dad worked at firth browns and then Sheffield forgemasters for 35+ years

He died in 1992 from mesothelioma a vicious form of lung cancer only caused by exposure to asbestos

He didn't think he had exposure to asbestos before he worked in the steel industry

You can ask for further details

I hope this is useful

Hisbuff

Hi hisbuff, where abouts in Firth Browns and Sheffield Forgemasters did your dad work as I also worked in both places.

My Dad was a furnace ladle ma who worked the melting shops he also worked the electric furnaces

His name was Ron

I worked in Firth Brown's (both Norfolk and Atlas melt shops) and Forgemasters melt shops. What was your dads second name?

Hi Seligman my dad worked at the atlas site and forgemasters not sure about the other one please pm me and I will give you further details. Hisbuff

Hi. Just wondering if there is anybody out there who used to work at Carbolite when it moved out to Bamford (previously based in Attercliffe)? My dad has been diagnosed with pleural thickening and now asbestosis and is making a claim but the insurers are trying to say that Carbolite didn't use asbestos (more specifically sindanyo boards) from 1970 onwards! We need to try and find independent witnesses who would be prepared to confirm that they were using it up until about 1978. Unfortunately the only people we know who used to work with him have passed away from asbestos related illnesses. Thanks!

My father was Kingfisher (see post above). He passed away last Friday (October 2, 2015) aged 92. He worked in the Melting shop for his entire working life. The doctors have told me that asbestos was the cause of my father's lung cancer, blood disorder (which caused both a stroke when he was 80 and then a chronic lack of red blood cells) and ultimately his death. He successfully claimed Industrial Injury Benefit with the help of SARAG.

In addition to protective clothing my father told me that asbestos was used as an insulating material on the shop floor, where asbestos sheets were cut to size with knives on the shop floor without any PPE.

I visited the hospital with him to see his consultants on several occasions regarding his illnesses. Each time we spotted someone he knew from Firth Brown's waiting for similar appointments.

Edited by CMOT_Dibbler

Sorry to hear about your dad, Asbestos is a time bomb for all who worked in the Steel industries as well as the building trades in the fifty's,sixty's and seventies.

The scandal is that the media seem to ignore the problem .