The Buccaneer, Leopold Street

You might go thirsty in some places then! At the recent Nether Edge Farmers market, beer served at the bowling club for drinking outside was in plastics, i have seen plastic used in other 'sensitive' areas too.

Then, so be it.

You might go thirsty in some places then! At the recent Nether Edge Farmers market, beer served at the bowling club for drinking outside was in plastics, i have seen plastic used in other 'sensitive' areas too.

I think you mean disposable plastic much like coffee cups to go, which is normal for outdoor functions.The one's we are talking about were plastic imitations of regular pint glasses, and were used just the same way, i.e. washed and used again and for indoor usage.

---------- Post added 18-09-2015 at 10:51 ----------

I remember the hanging fishing nets in the Buccaneer, but didn't the same building become the Pig and Whistle and now Bessamers ? only just started boozin in them days so can't remember exactly, I still didn't think it was further along the street towards the old city school. which is on stradbroke road these days.:huh:

Pig and Whistle was pretty much the same location but that building was new at the time and not the Grand

Plastic glasses in the Bucc were pretty much as thick as proper glass glasses as I remember not the flimsy jobs you get today

Plastic glasses in the Bucc were pretty much as thick as proper glass glasses as I remember not the flimsy jobs you get today

Quite right and a few other town centre pubs and clubs used them for a while, but sales went down and people protested a lot and started drinking bottled beers and shorts and some draught beers were going off before they could empty the barrels, so I heard at the time.

Every Thursday and Friday night - met at Claymore, onto either Blue Bell, or Bier Keller, next Stone House final destination BUCCANEER.

Happy days.... couldn't see a thing, couldn't move, couldn't get to the toilets. couldn't hear by the time we left.

met my husband there. ....no comment!!!

Crap beer, **** plastic glasses, Born to be Wild came on regularly. I was 16 when I hung out there. One day the police came in and busted every one of my friends for underage drinking. They left me surrounded with pints of beer. So happy I looked older than my age.

In those days the beer was so bad I think the taste of plastic improved it. Am I imagining things or does anyone else remember Go-Go dancers in front of George Webster !!!!!!

Hi

Good the Buccaneer, now that brings back some memories. Would go for a drink or two before going to work night shift.

Drinking out of plastic. don't think I would like to do that now. But then I did not mind at all

These are the tracks on the Album "Stink"

1 One Way Ticket 2:46

2 She's Alright 3:28

3 Beltmaker 2:40

4 Mainline 6:41

5 Think I'm LosingMy Marbles 2:23

6 Drive You 3:01

7 T.B. Blues 2:08

8 Better Watch Out 4:38

9 Bad Women 12:18

10 Don't Give Me No Goose For Christmas, Grandma 2:31

They had a single out better watch out and she's alright still got the album and single in fact played don't give me no goose last Saturday night at a gig.

The Buccaneer, Leopold Street.

1. Firstly, thank you Torontony for correctly pointing out that Pig and Whistle was in a different building to where the Buccaneer had been (Grand Hotel). There has often been confusion about that. Cheers. The Grand Hotel was a lovely building, its replacement an eyesore.

2. I also remember the thick plastic sturdy straight beer glasses. We sometimes used to stamp on them to make them shoot across the room, obviously before the Bucc filled out. We used to do the same at the Students Union up Glossop Road.

3. As far as I know, plastic glasses weren’t used during the week (quiet evenings) at the Buccaneer. We were served our drinks in glasses with handles. I think we used to call these dimpled glasses, Cocoa Cola glasses.

4. Some Tuesday’s or Wednesday’s I used to have the occasional chat with Trevor Hockey of Sheffield United fame. He usually turned up in his Velvetex car. Trev often wore a crushed-velvet jacket.

5. From the music side of things at the Buccaneer, I enjoyed:-

Jig-a-jig – East of Eden.

I’m a man – Chicago (the long drum solo).

And loads of other Prog stuff. I still love it.

I remember passing the Buccaneer on many occasions and thinking it must be great inside but I never got to go in.

I remember passing the Buccaneer on many occasions and thinking it must be great inside but I never got to go in.

Most people passed it on the way to what was the beast pub ever in Sheffield The Red Lion on Holly Street.