Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955?

I obviously don't know you as I left July 59 and you started 60. As far as I remember everyone left at 15-16 years unless they stayed on in the evenings to retake exams. Students in my year were Malcolm Bowskill, David Bramall, David Bray, Linda Pearce, Vicki Stork to name a few. Did you know any of these?

The name David Bray rings a bell but I can't think where from. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

I obviously don't know you as I left July 59 and you started 60. As far as I remember everyone left at 15-16 years unless they stayed on in the evenings to retake exams. Students in my year were Malcolm Bowskill, David Bramall, David Bray, Linda Pearce, Vicki Stork to name a few. Did you know any of these?

Like you, Snowball72, I seem to recall everyone leaving by the time they were 16, although the RSA side might have differed. I confess I couldn't get out fast enough, but on reflection that was because I was a couldn't care less lad, and nobody else's fault!! Whilst I remember we boys playing football and cricket, I assume you young ladies did netball/hockey?

I was RSA and left at almost 16. From both RSA and O level classes a handful stayed on to retake, I didn't.

Netball wasn't played, tennis at Whitley Woods, hockey at Crosspool and swimming at Glossop Road only. I have no idea why a person would start the school at 17 years, have you?

Mr. Arnold , does any one have a good word for him, I still fear him. I saw the results of one of his cannings ,some boys were reported for stareing at a woman in Broomhill he called it dumbinsolence ,the canning was so severe that when a teach asked why they were not writing. He saw their their swollen hands and was disgusted . The one good thing was his relaxed attitude towards smoking, most people smoked on school outings. I never smoked after leaving school.

Mr. Arnold , does any one have a good word for him, I still fear him. I saw the results of one of his cannings ,some boys were reported for stareing at a woman in Broomhill he called it dumbinsolence ,the canning was so severe that when a teach asked why they were not writing. He saw their their swollen hands and was disgusted . The one good thing was his relaxed attitude towards smoking, most people smoked on school outings. I never smoked after leaving school.

"Dick" or Mr.Arnold did have a "soft side" that one or two of us may have encountered.....I certainly did).Yes smoking was tolerated up to a point,but in those days lots of people smoked (it was a result of war time Britain!) Caning was common place for misbehaviour but I do not recall any severe injuries!

Hi,

I’m Andrew (Andy) Morris and I was a pupil at Gregg from 1959 for almost 2 years. I went on to better things at the Central Technical School but have some fond memories of my time at Broomfield Road. Indeed, one of my classmates, Glynis Eyre became my wife in 1969 and we are still together with two children and five grandchildren.

For my sins, I was a partner in (the now defunct) Eastwood Associates at Woodseats for about nine years. We were insurance brokers. I became a Magistrate on the Sheffield bench in the early 80’s. My (then) job with the TSB brought us to East Lothian in Scotland back in 1986.

I’m now retired and live by the sea in Dunbar.

Others in my class at Gregg included David Lowe, Roger Davison (Lord Mayor of Sheffield 2005), Peter Hunter, Robert Proctor (Proctor's Transport), Greg Raison, Michael Cudzic, the Scholeys (2 cousins from Stocksbridge/Oughtibridge), Sam(?) Marsh (Marsh the Butchers), Stewart Seymour, Alan Bartlett, Graham Ward, Ann Parsley, Margaret Bannerman, Glenis Rogers and Joan Widdows.

Joan was a good friend of my wife’s but they lost contact years ago. Joan lived at Totley and wanted to dance professionally. If anyone knows her whereabouts, please let me know. It would really be appreciated.

I leaned recently that Peter Hunter sadly died quite a while back and David Lowe passed away in August this year. David posted on here a number of times under the pseudonym of L4WEY. He had retired from his job as an engineer with Rolls Royce and lived in Derby. If I had seen this page before, I would have made contact.

David and I were ‘best’ friends for a long time. We shared holidays and even after I left for the Central Tech, we met up almost every weekend and enjoyed some terrific times together. However, we lost contact after we married our respective girlfriends.

I enjoyed my time at Gregg and like everyone else who has posted here, have stories from back then that could make your toe nails curl.

If anyone remembers Glynis or me – or can cast a light on any of our chums back then please let me know. It would be good to hear from you.

My email address is [email protected]

Edited by weemorris

Hi Andy, I left in 59 and therefore won't know anyone in your year but no doubt you will remember a few from several years behind me. I have been in touch with Hilary Sweeny who was 2 years behind me and several from my year. I am beginning to wonder if the original people who set this site up have given up and moved on as they don't seem to have any input since I joined last year.

I lived in Stocksbridge at the time and recall the garage at Deepcar owned by Doug Scholey which could possibly be the father of the boys who attended school although I thought he only had a daughter. However, I cannot help any further. Keep trying you never know what will turn up.

Thanks for that Snowball,

Perhaps one of the problems (apparently) is that apart from the first response - in this case, yours, posters have to look for responses on this site themselves. Sad to say that in this day and age that does not happen. If you don't get an automatic reminder that someone has responded, you don't bother to look.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Doug Scholey's Garage at Deepcar was in fact the home of one of the two cousins. One was called Roy but I can't remember the name of the other. But they were both boys. Well they told us they were anyway!

I'll keep my eye on this page and hope someone I know tunes in...

Cheers.

Hope you get a reply. Have you thought of writing something below one of the threads? It's worth a try.