What would make Sheffield Forum nicer?

Home > General > Forum News & Feedback

Reply To Topic

18-04-2017, 13:32   #21
Justin Smith

Total Posts: 3,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
do you know how time consuming it would be to email everybody they delete a post from? the mods would be writing emails all the time, not feasible
As stated above, the great majority would be automated E Mails when a thread is deleted. The question is, how many individual posts are deleted ? And how long would it take to advise of why the post was deleted considering how long it would have taken to read the thing(s) in the first place. I`m assuming the posts were fully read before being deleted ? If not it`s even worse than I thought. I have to say an automated E Mail wouldn`t have pacified me over the posts which got deleted on Monday morning. I was hopping mad, and still am. I say again, these posts took 20 to 25 minutes to write, and there was nothing wrong with them as far as I could see, certainly not all three of them.
_______
I`ll have a some respect for the EU referendum result if and when the NHS gets its extra 350 million a week...... Oh, and we get our free trade deal "because we`re more important than Switzerland". Basically they lied, they won and they`ve got away with it.
Aerials and Digital TV
18-04-2017, 14:25   #22
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 53,323
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
I say again, these posts took 20 to 25 minutes to write,
and?

Quote:
how many individual posts are deleted ?.
i imagine a lot, since theres a couple of hundred thousand users almost, its far larger than a lot of other forums.

Quote:
As stated above, the great majority would be automated E Mails when a thread is deleted.
dunno about the software behind the scenes but im moderator on a punk forum and when somebody gets banned you can email them but its still manually done, written etc, even if sent from the forums software.

Quote:
And how long would it take to advise of why the post was deleted considering how long it would have taken to read the thing(s) in the first place. I`m assuming the posts were fully read before being deleted ?
why should they, most forums you dont get told why, they just vanish. SF isnt special.

At the end of the day on here and others ive had post deleted for both being norty and unknown reasons, ive also had my fair share of bans, its forum life, stop moaning and move on.
Lifes too short to worry about why a post got deleted, if it takes you 25 minutes to write one...write a shorter one
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
18-04-2017, 14:32   #23
willman
WYSIWYG

Total Posts: 18,962
Send a message via ICQ to willman Send a message via MSN to willman
It may be nice to offer a notice of why threads were deleted if the recipient accepted it and moved on - but they won't.
It would turn into a discussion on ethics/morals/opinion/politics.
Its' clearly in the rules that the mods decisions are final.

(There was discussion in your thread that some of the content may not be appropriate following the death of someone so recently - but as i said it's personal opinion)
18-04-2017, 14:33   #24
esme
raddled old hag

Admin Team
Total Posts: 42,365
Mod Note

If you have any queries such as "Why was my post/thread deleted", then please ask at the Helpdesk

esme (Admin)
_______
A persons worth is not decided by the colour of their skin, religion, sexual orientation, gender or ability.
It is decided by their words, deeds and how they treat their fellow human beings.
There are other forums if this gives you a problem.
18-04-2017, 21:36   #25
mickey finn

Total Posts: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
i imagine a lot, since theres a couple of hundred thousand users almost, its far larger than a lot of other forums..
Lifes too short to worry about why a post got deleted, if it takes you 25 minutes to write one...write a shorter one
There is hardly any real active users and you know it, best thing is keep agreeing with the lefties like you do and you'll never get a post removed
18-04-2017, 21:46   #26
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 53,323
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey finn View Post
There is hardly any real active users and you know it, best thing is keep agreeing with the lefties like you do and you'll never get a post removed
really? Oo

ive prolly had more removed than anybody over the years, had a fair few bans too
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
19-04-2017, 15:51   #27
Waldo

Total Posts: 5,035
Quote:
Free cake.
I was thinking this too. Well, so long as the 'cake' is actually bars of nice chocolate. Yeah. Profits from the forum should be spent on sending free chocolate to members. Shall we run a poll?
19-04-2017, 19:30   #28
mickey finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
I was thinking this too. Well, so long as the 'cake' is actually bars of nice chocolate. Yeah. Profits from the forum should be spent on sending free chocolate to members. Shall we run a poll?
As long as mine is a Fry's Cream Bar I'm in
19-04-2017, 20:07   #29
croat77

Total Posts: 267
I know! Big gathering of forum posters, on 13.5. 7pm
Showroom cinema! It's Eurovision 2017 evening, live from
Ukraine. We can discuss brexit before event start, sing in several languages, play game "guess the EU song", and as a grand finale, get drunk and start game Article 50-Area 51, with big prizes and tombola.
19-04-2017, 20:07   #30
AmberLeaf

Total Posts: 472
Quote:
As long as mine is a Fry's Cream Bar I'm in
Bit of a retro choice, lol.
Mine would be Galaxy

Maybe it would be nicer if there was less negative stuff on.
19-04-2017, 22:22   #31
glennpickard

Total Posts: 385
A couple of mine have gone astray, but I only take 5 minutes to compose them.

Its positive exchanging opinions esp. on how to improve the city of Sheffield and other connected issues. However I would like to see the Forum morph partly towards a group that can provide opinions from Sheffield city supporters. ie. what do we support as a group? eg.
1) A mayor or no mayor or ?
And then set up a mechanism so people can cast a vote, on 3 or 4 options.

2) SCC self supported or continue with being fed from London ?
and so on and so forth. We would need to review the value of this approach
3) Infrastructure projects
4) future railroad policy

Results go to the MPs and the news outlets etc, and any other interested parties

The risk might be Lab vs Cons vs Libs I know.
Anyone else think the Forum could go in this direction ?
19-04-2017, 22:28   #32
mickey finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLeaf View Post
Bit of a retro choice, lol.
Mine would be Galaxy

Maybe it would be nicer if there was less negative stuff on.
I'd actually settle for a nice big hug and a sloppy kiss.
20-04-2017, 15:04   #33
esme
raddled old hag

Admin Team
Total Posts: 42,365
Mod Note

Posts questioning moderation have been removed along with any posts referring to deleted posts.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear with my earlier note.

Every time we've had a discussion in the general forums regarding the moderation of the forum, and yes we have had them, it may start well but rapidly degenerates into a series of insults levelled at the moderation team.

We then either remove the thread or close it and waste time cleaning it up.

Every time.

The moderators are all volunteers, they work extremely hard, for no reward, so you can have a forum, at all, without them you wouldn't have a forum, they do not deserve insults.

So we have a policy of not allowing discussion or criticism of moderation in the general forums, if you have a question or criticism regarding the moderation of this forum then you take it to the Helpdesk.

And yes, when you come to the Helpdesk we may not uphold your complaint or accept your suggestion, but sometimes we do.

You may not get an immediate response but you will get a response, well providing you've provided us with valid contact details and your spam filter doesn't block it you will, but there's nothing we can do about those.

At the end of the day if you don't like the way the forum is run then feel free to use a different forum, we'll be sad to see you leave but we run this forum for the benefit of the people who can follow the rules, not those who can't or don't want to.

Now I've spent several minutes composing this, time I could have spent doing something else, I'm not going to do this every time someone starts complaining about moderation in a thread.

So, if you have a complaint, comment or suggestion regarding the moderation of this forum, take it to the Helpdesk.

If you persist in posting about moderation in this thread, your account will be suspended, it will only be released when you turn up at the Helpdesk.

esme (Admin)
_______
A persons worth is not decided by the colour of their skin, religion, sexual orientation, gender or ability.
It is decided by their words, deeds and how they treat their fellow human beings.
There are other forums if this gives you a problem.
28-04-2017, 22:25   #34
sheff6danny

Total Posts: 10
I'm really sorry this caused an admin extra work and hassle.

Thinking about my own question as OP, maybe what would make Sheffield Forum is for us to try to see the world more from each others perspectives and find common ground with those we disagree with.

Thinking about that, I wonder sometimes how much thanks the mods/admins get for what they do to stop the forum becoming the wild west. Many thanks to them
_______
My joy is the world we share
29-04-2017, 16:02   #35
mickey finn

Less of the threatening and bullying for a start.
29-04-2017, 16:52   #36
AmberLeaf

Quote:
Less of the threatening and bullying for a start.
You don't get as much of that stuff on Instagram.
29-04-2017, 20:29   #37
mickey finn

Quote:
You don't get as much of that stuff on Instagram.
I have no idea what that is
29-04-2017, 20:47   #38
crookedspire

Total Posts: 1,289
Just chill people the forum only a bit of fun no life or death situation is at hand.
_______
Fancy seeing your pension frozen , deeper cuts, disabled and sick treated like criminals, no hope for the next generation, Brex hopes crumple to dust or the NHS nothing more than a memory or live in a hard-line right wing fairy land ? Think long and hard before casting that vote .
30-04-2017, 09:34   #39
AmberLeaf

Quote:
I have no idea what that is
It's where people put photos or art on it. A lot of people put selfies on it, but I don't, as I don't feel the need to show off my appearance .
30-04-2017, 11:26   #40
mickey finn

Quote:
It's where people put photos or art on it. A lot of people put selfies on it, but I don't, as I don't feel the need to show off my appearance .
I have just been on and posted this selfie, I don't really know why because I don't need to show off my appearance either.
Reply To Topic