Tramps home west bar

can anyone tell me what they called the large building on west bar on the left side going towards town my mum said tramps used to live there, that was in the 50s i think it is now flats

HERE it is. There are other threads on the hostel (very interesting). Do a search.

I worked at Wm Greens, stove and grate fitters. back in the fifties which was practically opposite the West Bar hostel, the lane you see in the picture led up to the yard at the back,and it was off to the left as you walked up.

Apparently the building we were in had been a small theater / music hall at one time, it must have been around the same period that the Hostel was built.

Any one know what the theater was called ?..:huh:

I worked at Wm Greens, stove and grate fitters. back in the fifties which was practically opposite the West Bar hostel, the lane you see in the picture led up to the yard at the back,and it was off to the left as you walked up.

Apparently the building we were in had been a small theater / music hall at one time, it must have been around the same period that the Hostel was built.

Any one know what the theater was called ?..:huh:

Brittania Theatre

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield/s01435.jpg

That's the place Kelvin, Thanks

Although in that picture the shop front has been changed a bit since I worked there...

Having said that it still looks a million times better than what's there now.

So it's hello, hello, what do you know, another piece of Sheffield history pointlessly flattened and left to look like a bomb site...

When are the council going to stop this butchery ? I'm not against progress but not when it's totally unnecessary, that place was as worthy of saving as the hostel any day in my opinion...

The hostel which is now flats was for homeless people and run by church, not for tramps. My grandad lived and died there the year I was born 1951 and he came from a well to do family

Edited by denlin

I remember Westbar Hostel, it was still running when I left the city in 1959. (Not that I ever had occasion to use it)

Mike