Post office messengers

anybody who worked at the head post office in the 1940s as a telegram lad

Not as early as the 40's but in 1961 my mate Pete Rhodes started his working life as a GPO messenger boy delivering telegrams on the little red motorbikes.

Happy days, as they say, and a world apart.

Is 'len palmer' your real name and did you do National Service in Egypt? If so, I think I know you and some other GPO guys that were there, I have photos of some Sheffield lads.

hi len palmer

just a quick liine to let you know there a thread on the forum gpo telegram boys 1950/56 we meet every 6 weeks for a pint and chat at the penny black pond st have a look might be some names you know regards aj

I think Birkett Lucas must have worked there at about that time.

Is 'len palmer' your real name and did you do National Service in Egypt? If so, I think I know you and some other GPO guys that were there, I have photos of some Sheffield lads.
he Royal Signals yes that is my real name ,and I was in Egypt from 1952 to 1954 in the

Royal Signals

he Royal Signals yes that is my real name ,and I was in Egypt from 1952 to 1954 in the

Royal Signals

This is amazing, I have photos of you and other Sheffield lads, if you remember them? You had a buddy that also worked at the GPO, is name was George Barnes, I think he was a bit of an artist also. - I'm thinking you might have been a bit older than me, as I believe you and George served your apprenticeship before going in at 21yrs old, I left the 'Signals' in '53. - There is a 'National service' thread on the 'Forum' with postings from other Signals guys, as a matter of fact I did put a photo on there, I don't think I did it right, as it didn't come out very large but I believe you are on that picture.

Hi fleetwood.

I think we may not be talking about the same people, I was at the post office from 1947 to 1950 when I joined the regular army for 5 years

yes I was in the royal signals in the canal zone from 51 t0 54 . I met a few guys from Sheffield and many were national service . were any of the you know in moascar with 3 Division signals ? I would like to see the photo you mentioned

just in case i know some of them

HI Echo Beach.

you mention the motor bike s used by the messengers in the 60 s . when I started in 1947 we only had push bikes and ithink it was in 1949 we were trained to ride the BSA Bantam 125 and from the on it was a much easier jof, but we had a few accidents caused mainly by the tram line in wet weather and we lost one the lads in an accident and his name was Fred Hamnett . by the way my badge number was 1066

Hi fleetwood.

I think we may not be talking about the same people, I was at the post office from 1947 to 1950 when I joined the regular army for 5 years

yes I was in the royal signals in the canal zone from 51 t0 54 . I met a few guys from Sheffield and many were national service . were any of the you know in moascar with 3 Division signals ? I would like to see the photo you mentioned

just in case i know some of them

I was 3rd Infantry Div Sigs at Moascar mid 52 to end of 53, there were quite a few lads from Sheffield and area, in that group were two lads from the GPO, one was a Ron or Len Palmer and the other I think was George Barnes, all the Sheffield and area lads got together and had some photos took in the camp. - Now I might have got wrong with the bit about you were 21 having served your apprenticeship first. - If you wanted to click on the 'National Service' thread on the Forum and look at some of my 'Posts' you would come to my link to the picture in question. - Other than that you could 'Private Message' me your email address and I would be able to scan the pictures too you.

Re Len palmer - We were at the same camp in the same time frame, so our paths must have crossed, I knew all the Sheffield lads, as you have already mentioned you were a regular and to my over exercised memory the few extra years you did registered a little different to my way of thinking.

I was a PO messenger from 1960 to 1962 riding the 125 bantams all day. We used to work sundays occasionally and had a special run to worksop.

I remember a lot of the other messengers including:-

Philip Parkin, Pete Cowlishaw,David Richmond,John Schofield,Roger Newsum,Robert Simpson,John Gillette,Alan Keen,Ian Barker,John Griffith,Tony Jukes,David Gambling,Graham Lomas,Stewart Curwen and Mick Flaherty.

There were 2 blokes who supervised the messengers at that time...Brian Luscombe and Ray Rolley.