Amos Stuart - Sheffield Gang Wars

Hi,

We have just started doing some family history stuff and was wondering if anyone has any information on Amos Stuart who was involved in the Princess Street Murder? Theres quite a lot of information about him up to going in to prison but wondered what happened to him once he was released? did he marry? have a family of his own?

Thank you

There was an Amos Stuart who was a coal merchant in Attercliffe in the 1950's

amos was a relative of our family , I will see what I can find out for you .

I think betty one of his relatives used to go to owlerton dogs .

hi,

Thanks, any information would be useful. In the 1891 census it say that hannah sedgwick lived with the stuarts and there were two children (wilfred and elizabeth sedgwick), were these brothers and sisters of Amos?

Does Alf Stuart ring any bells?

Thanks

Hi,

We have just started doing some family history stuff and was wondering if anyone has any information on Amos Stuart who was involved in the Princess Street Murder? Theres quite a lot of information about him up to going in to prison but wondered what happened to him once he was released? did he marry? have a family of his own?

Thank you

Hi amos stuart was my grandmars brother and the name sedgwick rings bells i will ask my mum what happend to amos tomorrow and let you know. there was thirteen stuarts altogether two of the brothers died in world war two they were pilots and never came home. my grandmar passed away a few years ago dorathy amos stuarts sister . my grandad told us loads of stories . be intouch soon .

amos was a relative of our family , I will see what I can find out for you .

I think betty one of his relatives used to go to owlerton dogs .

amos was my relative too , my grandmas brother

hi,

Thanks, any information would be useful. In the 1891 census it say that hannah sedgwick lived with the stuarts and there were two children (wilfred and elizabeth sedgwick), were these brothers and sisters of Amos?

Does Alf Stuart ring any bells?

Thanks

There was an Alf Stuart who was the coalman in the Shirecliffe area c1940's .

amos lived in the coal yard attercliffe with a lady called gladice lishman I think .

there is a photo of him in the sheffield gang wars book .

when the judge sentenced him to 10 years he thanked the judge , the fowler brothers were hung .My mother has just told me how she used to visit uncle amos in the yard when she was about 10 years old .

About 1958/59 one Sunday night I was working in the Wellington Pub on Brightside Lane. Amos Stuart and another man accompanied by two women came in bought drinks and went to sit in the snug. Amos withdrew a bundle of money and threw it on the floor challenging any man to pick it up.

The landlord was informed went into the snug picked up the money slapped Amos around for a while and threw him out into Hawke Street.

An old lady who apprently knew Amos well came to the bar later and used the phrase " a bully bullied".

Apparently Amos had been one of the Sheffield gangsters at some time in the past, and was handy with his fists, according to what I saw he never learned to duck.

just been told ,I met amos when I was a teenager , have also been told he thought of himself as a big time charlie and was not a particularly nice bloke .

Looking at FreeBMD:

STUART Amos born Sept.Qtr. 1903, Sheffield, Vol.9c. Page 655

STUART Amos marriage to SEDGEWICK Hannah, Dec. Qtr. 1929, Sheffield, Vol. 9c. Page

Purchasing those certificates will prove parentage and take you further back.

Regards,

Duffems

he married hannah sedgewick , in the 40,s lived with gladice lishman , no one seems to know if thy were married or not .